Dec 6, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
UPDATED 2:45 p.m.
Though multiple reports had top free agent reliever Darren O’Day re-signing with the Baltimore Orioles on Sunday, the right-hander has now clarified he has not made his decision quite yet.
The contract was said to be a four-year deal worth $31 million. O’Day turned 33 in October and the Nationals have been reluctant to give him four years throughout their negotiations.
O’Day appears to still be available, though Ryan Madson – who was considered the second-best free agent reliever – signed with Oakland on Sunday.
Beyond O’Day and Madson, Joakim Soria, Tyler Clippard, Antonio Bastardo, Shawn Kelley and Tony Sipp are the best relievers in this year’s class. Overall, it’s a relatively thin market at the position.
The Nationals added veteran lefty Oliver Perez late last week on a two-year deal. But they still have plenty of decisions to make regarding their bullpen.
The Nationals’ relief corps will be a hot topic at the Winter Meetings, which begin on Monday. They are still interested in exploring trades involving both Jonathan Papelbon and Drew Storen. They also plan to add several more arms either through free agency or trades.
The Nats have been considered one of the finalists for O’Day along with the Orioles, where he has pitched the last four seasons, and the Atlanta Braves.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Stephen Strasburg returns to Nats lineup after DL stint
- 8 bold MLB predictions sure to be proven wrong
- Washington Nationals second half preview
- Nationals players were critical of Dave Martinez's decision-making in the first half
- Max Scherzer thoroughly enjoyed the All-Star experience in D.C.
- All-Star effort once again proves Washington, D.C. is, in fact, a sports city
- The best 2018 MLB All-Star Game red carpet looks
- A quick recap of Tuesday's MLB All-Star Game, including how your Nats did
- 2018 MLB All-Star Game Live Blog
- All-Star Game Weather: Storms causing traffic havoc, could force delay, postponement