Dec 6, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
UPDATED 2:45 p.m.
Though multiple reports had top free agent reliever Darren O’Day re-signing with the Baltimore Orioles on Sunday, the right-hander has now clarified he has not made his decision quite yet.
The contract was said to be a four-year deal worth $31 million. O’Day turned 33 in October and the Nationals have been reluctant to give him four years throughout their negotiations.
O’Day appears to still be available, though Ryan Madson – who was considered the second-best free agent reliever – signed with Oakland on Sunday.
Beyond O’Day and Madson, Joakim Soria, Tyler Clippard, Antonio Bastardo, Shawn Kelley and Tony Sipp are the best relievers in this year’s class. Overall, it’s a relatively thin market at the position.
The Nationals added veteran lefty Oliver Perez late last week on a two-year deal. But they still have plenty of decisions to make regarding their bullpen.
The Nationals’ relief corps will be a hot topic at the Winter Meetings, which begin on Monday. They are still interested in exploring trades involving both Jonathan Papelbon and Drew Storen. They also plan to add several more arms either through free agency or trades.
The Nats have been considered one of the finalists for O’Day along with the Orioles, where he has pitched the last four seasons, and the Atlanta Braves.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Did Max Scherzer's dance moves cause the Junkies' broadcast to lose power?
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine