Dec 6, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
UPDATED 2:45 p.m.
Though multiple reports had top free agent reliever Darren O’Day re-signing with the Baltimore Orioles on Sunday, the right-hander has now clarified he has not made his decision quite yet.
The contract was said to be a four-year deal worth $31 million. O’Day turned 33 in October and the Nationals have been reluctant to give him four years throughout their negotiations.
O’Day appears to still be available, though Ryan Madson – who was considered the second-best free agent reliever – signed with Oakland on Sunday.
Beyond O’Day and Madson, Joakim Soria, Tyler Clippard, Antonio Bastardo, Shawn Kelley and Tony Sipp are the best relievers in this year’s class. Overall, it’s a relatively thin market at the position.
The Nationals added veteran lefty Oliver Perez late last week on a two-year deal. But they still have plenty of decisions to make regarding their bullpen.
The Nationals’ relief corps will be a hot topic at the Winter Meetings, which begin on Monday. They are still interested in exploring trades involving both Jonathan Papelbon and Drew Storen. They also plan to add several more arms either through free agency or trades.
The Nats have been considered one of the finalists for O’Day along with the Orioles, where he has pitched the last four seasons, and the Atlanta Braves.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' Joe Ross to start against team that drafted him
- Stephen Strasburg has career-high 15 strikeouts in Nationals win over Padres
- Nationals players visit local little league baseball teams
- Bryce Harper launches mammoth home run into third deck at National Park
- Max Scherzer absolutely dominates Padres, piles up 13 strikeouts
- Anthony Rendon homers in third straight game, but Nationals fall to Mariners in series finale
- Nats beat Mariners behind Joe Ross' career day in return from minors
- WATCH: Werth and Harper go back-to-back, Rendon hits 2 HRs in Nats win
- Nationals beat Braves, snap losing skid behind Stephen Strasburg's strong start
- 2017 MLB Power Rankings: As Bryce Harper goes, so do the Nationals