Nov 24, 2015, 11:01 AM EST
The Nationals filled another vacancy on Dusty Baker’s coaching staff on Tuesday by bringing back Bobby Henley as their third base coach.
Henley’s contract was not renewed after Matt Williams was fired as manager in October. He had recently accepted a position as a senior assistant for player development, but will now return to the field as third base coach.
Henley, 42, has ties with the franchise dating back to 1991 when he was drafted by the Montreal Expos. He worked his way through their farm system and played for the big league club in 1998 as a catcher.
Elbow injuries ended Henley’s playing career, but he returned to the organization in 2003 as manager of their Gulf Coast League team. From there he progressed through their minor league system, serving as field coordinator from 2010 to 2013 before joining Williams’ staff in Washington.
Henley will enter his third season as Nationals third base coach in 2016. He and Rich Schu are the only holdovers so far from Williams’ staff. They join Davey Lopes (first base), Mike Maddux (pitching), Chris Speier and Jacque Jones (asst. hitting) on Baker’s staff. The only opening left is bullpen coach, as Speier is now likely to serve as bench coach.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper enjoyed the story of Alex Luey and Ovechkin's hat trick for the young cancer survivor
- Max Scherzer Giving Away Memorabilia For Good Cause
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists
- Matt Wieters will return to Nationals in 2018 with player-option
- Houston Astros shut out lights in Hollywood, bring home first World Series title
- Is Bryce Harper flirting with Chicago?