Nov 18, 2015, 7:11 PM EST
The results for the 2015 NL Cy Young award were announced on Wednesday night with Max Scherzer placing fifth in voting, his first year with the Nationals. Cubs right-hander Jake Arrieta edged out Dodgers star Zack Greinke to win the award for the first time in his career.
Scherzer ties Jordan Zimmermann for the second-highest finish for a Nationals pitcher. Zimmermann also placed fifth last season. Gio Gonzalez got the closest of any National after finishing third in 2012.
Scherzer has won a Cy Young before, taking the honors for the AL back in 2013 when he was with the Tigers. He was also fifth in AL voting last season. This is the third time in his career he has received votes.
Scherzer also earned an All-Star nod this season with the Nationals. He went 14-12 with a 2.79 ERA and a team-record 276 strikeouts in 228 2/3 innings.
The right-hander joined the Nationals in January when he signed the largest contract ever for a free agent pitcher, a 7-year deal worth $210 million. That was after spending five years in Detroit and two years in Arizona with the Diamondbacks.
Scherzer’s 2015 season was highlighted by two no-hitters. He threw his first on June 20 against the Pittsburgh Pirates on a day he came within one strike of a perfect game. He then threw another no-no in his final start of the season at New York. That was on Oct. 3 and he added 17 strikeouts along the way. He was the fifth pitcher in MLB history to throw two no-hitters in the same regular season and the first since 1973 (Nolan Ryan).
Houston Astros lefty Dallas Keuchel won the Cy Young award for the American League.
Here is a look at the full voting results for the NL:
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Will Mike Rizzo continue to shape the Nationals? The Junkies believe he's too valuable to lose
- Nationals re-sign Howie Kendrick for two-years
- See hilarious highlights from Nats' Racing Presidents tryouts
- Bryce Harper enjoyed the story of Alex Luey and Ovechkin's hat trick for the young cancer survivor
- Max Scherzer Giving Away Memorabilia For Good Cause
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists