Nov 18, 2015, 5:36 PM EDT
After joining the Nationals in a June trade and appearing in only eight games with the team, right-hander David Carpenter will now test free agency.
The Nationals outrighted the veteran reliever off their 40-man roster on Wednesday to Triple-A Syracuse. He then elected to try his luck on the open market.
Carpenter, 30, began the 2015 season with the New York Yankees before joining the Nats in a deal for former second pick and infield prospect Tony Renda. Carpenter was solid through eight games with one run allowed through six innings before a shoulder injury derailed his season.
Carpenter first dealt with shoulder inflammation in July but experienced several setbacks throughout his recovery. He saw three doctors and had two MRIs before ultimately being shut down for the season.
A five-year MLB veteran, Carpenter began his career in Houston before moving on to the Blue Jays and then the Braves before pitching in New York. He had his best year in Atlanta when he held a 1.78 ERA through 56 games in 2013.
Carpenter has a 3.66 career ERA in 218 total games.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Stephen Strasburg returns to Nats lineup after DL stint
- 8 bold MLB predictions sure to be proven wrong
- Washington Nationals second half preview
- Nationals players were critical of Dave Martinez's decision-making in the first half
- Max Scherzer thoroughly enjoyed the All-Star experience in D.C.
- All-Star effort once again proves Washington, D.C. is, in fact, a sports city
- The best 2018 MLB All-Star Game red carpet looks
- A quick recap of Tuesday's MLB All-Star Game, including how your Nats did
- 2018 MLB All-Star Game Live Blog
- All-Star Game Weather: Storms causing traffic havoc, could force delay, postponement