Nov 12, 2015, 6:11 PM EDT
Bryce Harper added to his growing collection of hardware Thursday night, winning the first Silver Slugger Award of his career as one of the three best offensive outfielders in the National League.
Harper was selected along with fellow outfielders Andrew McCutchen of the Pirates and Carlos Gonzalez of the Rockies in a vote of NL managers and coaches conducted near the end of the regular season.
The 23-year-old’s selection was a no-brainer. He led the league with 42 homers, 118 runs, a .460 on-base percentage, .649 slugging percentage and 1.109 OPS while finishing second with a .330 batting average.
Harper thus adds the Silver Slugger to his mantel, which already includes this year’s Hank Aaron Award as the best offensive player in the NL and the Players’ Choice Award as NL Outstanding Player. He’s expected to cap off award season with his first career NL MVP, which will be handed out Nov. 19.
Harper becomes the 10th Silver Slugger winner for the Nationals in their 11 seasons in the District. Past winners were Alfonso Soriano (2006), Ryan Zimmerman (2009-10), Adam LaRoche (2012), Stephen Strasburg (2012), Ian Desmond (2012-14) and Anthony Rendon (2014).
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Stephen Strasburg returns to Nats lineup after DL stint
- 8 bold MLB predictions sure to be proven wrong
- Washington Nationals second half preview
- Nationals players were critical of Dave Martinez's decision-making in the first half
- Max Scherzer thoroughly enjoyed the All-Star experience in D.C.
- All-Star effort once again proves Washington, D.C. is, in fact, a sports city
- The best 2018 MLB All-Star Game red carpet looks
- A quick recap of Tuesday's MLB All-Star Game, including how your Nats did
- 2018 MLB All-Star Game Live Blog
- All-Star Game Weather: Storms causing traffic havoc, could force delay, postponement