Nov 12, 2015, 6:11 PM EDT
Bryce Harper added to his growing collection of hardware Thursday night, winning the first Silver Slugger Award of his career as one of the three best offensive outfielders in the National League.
Harper was selected along with fellow outfielders Andrew McCutchen of the Pirates and Carlos Gonzalez of the Rockies in a vote of NL managers and coaches conducted near the end of the regular season.
The 23-year-old’s selection was a no-brainer. He led the league with 42 homers, 118 runs, a .460 on-base percentage, .649 slugging percentage and 1.109 OPS while finishing second with a .330 batting average.
Harper thus adds the Silver Slugger to his mantel, which already includes this year’s Hank Aaron Award as the best offensive player in the NL and the Players’ Choice Award as NL Outstanding Player. He’s expected to cap off award season with his first career NL MVP, which will be handed out Nov. 19.
Harper becomes the 10th Silver Slugger winner for the Nationals in their 11 seasons in the District. Past winners were Alfonso Soriano (2006), Ryan Zimmerman (2009-10), Adam LaRoche (2012), Stephen Strasburg (2012), Ian Desmond (2012-14) and Anthony Rendon (2014).
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Did Max Scherzer's dance moves cause the Junkies' broadcast to lose power?
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine