Nov 10, 2015, 5:06 PM EDT
Five weeks after he was fired by the Nationals, Matt Williams is returning to a big-league dugout, and returning to a familiar and comfortable locale.
Williams has accepted an offer to serve as the Diamondbacks’ third base coach, according to Arizona Sports 98.7 FM, returning to the same position he held before coming to Washington two years ago.
The 49-year-old didn’t need to return to work immediately next season; he was already under contract with the Nationals for 2016 with a $1 million salary. But the Diamondbacks had an opening in his old role once Andy Green was hired as the Padres’ new manager and quickly offered it back to the former Arizona infielder, coach and broadcaster.
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo, who worked as the Diamondbacks’ scouting director while Williams was still playing there, hired him as Washington’s fifth manager in Oct. 2013. Williams, who had only minimal managerial experience in the Arizona Fall League and an interim stint at Class AA, wound up guiding the Nationals to a 96-win season and a division title, earning NL Manager of the Year honors.
The Nationals picked up Williams’ 2016 option at the start of spring training but wound up eating that money when they fired him the day after a disappointing 83-79 season ended. Williams has not spoken publicly since the firing.
Though he’s back working for another NL club, Williams won’t be reunited with the Nationals for some time. The Diamondbacks aren’t scheduled to play the Nats until Aug. 1-3 in Phoenix and don’t make their lone 2016 trip to D.C. until Sept. 26-29.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper named National League Player of the Week
- Murphy, Scherzer slam Mets with 7th straight win
- Daniel Murphy strikes again vs. Mets with second career grand slam
- MLB Power Rankings: The Beltway gets well represented
- Gio Gonzalez leads Nats to 6th straight win with 3-1 victory against Mets
- Nationals win fifth in a row as Harper powers Nats past Mets
- Nationals pick up sweep of Braves behind Stephen Strasburg's strong night
- Bryce Harper has monster night as Nats slam Braves 14-4
- Jayson Werth leaves Nationals game vs. Braves with undisclosed injury
- Bryce Harper mashes grand slam, continues dominance of helpless Braves pitcher