Nov 10, 2015, 5:06 PM EDT
Five weeks after he was fired by the Nationals, Matt Williams is returning to a big-league dugout, and returning to a familiar and comfortable locale.
Williams has accepted an offer to serve as the Diamondbacks’ third base coach, according to Arizona Sports 98.7 FM, returning to the same position he held before coming to Washington two years ago.
The 49-year-old didn’t need to return to work immediately next season; he was already under contract with the Nationals for 2016 with a $1 million salary. But the Diamondbacks had an opening in his old role once Andy Green was hired as the Padres’ new manager and quickly offered it back to the former Arizona infielder, coach and broadcaster.
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo, who worked as the Diamondbacks’ scouting director while Williams was still playing there, hired him as Washington’s fifth manager in Oct. 2013. Williams, who had only minimal managerial experience in the Arizona Fall League and an interim stint at Class AA, wound up guiding the Nationals to a 96-win season and a division title, earning NL Manager of the Year honors.
The Nationals picked up Williams’ 2016 option at the start of spring training but wound up eating that money when they fired him the day after a disappointing 83-79 season ended. Williams has not spoken publicly since the firing.
Though he’s back working for another NL club, Williams won’t be reunited with the Nationals for some time. The Diamondbacks aren’t scheduled to play the Nats until Aug. 1-3 in Phoenix and don’t make their lone 2016 trip to D.C. until Sept. 26-29.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Did Max Scherzer's dance moves cause the Junkies' broadcast to lose power?
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine