Oct 30, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
WORLD SERIES GAME 3: KANSAS CITY ROYALS at NEW YORK METS
Series: Royals lead 2-0
Where: Citi Field, New York
Gametime: 8:00 p.m.
Radio: ESPN Radio
Weather: Clear, 52 degrees, wind 7 mph
Starting pitchers: KCR RHP Yordano Ventura (13-8, 4.08 ERA) / NYM RHP Noah Syndergaard (9-7, 3.24 ERA)
The Royals took a commanding 2-0 lead thanks to a dominating performance by Johnny Cueto in Game 2. Now they turn to right-hander Yordano Ventura as they hope to put themselves one game away from clinching their first world championship in 30 years.
Standing in their way is Mets rookie Noah Syndergaard who has quite the task at hand for a 23-year-old pitching in his first postseason. Syndergaard has, however, been very good so far in the playoffs. Through three appearances he has a 2.77 ERA with four earned runs allowed and 20 strikeouts in 13 innings. He will also be pitching at home, which certainly should not hurt.
Ventura is only one year older than Syndergaard, but he has nine playoff appearances to pull from. He has not been very good this postseason, though, with a 5.09 ERA in four starts. He is coming off his best start this October with one run surrendered through 5 1/3 innings when the Royals beat the Blue Jays in Game 6 of the ALCS.
In order for the Mets to get back in this series, they will need more from some of their most important offensive players. Yoenis Cespedes is 1-for-10 so far, David Wright is 2-for-11, Travis d’Arnaud is 1-for-9 and Curtis Granderson is 1-for-8. That will have to change, or else this series will end very soon.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- The best 2018 MLB All-Star Game red carpet looks
- A quick recap of Tuesday's MLB All-Star Game, including how your Nats did
- 2018 MLB All-Star Game Live Blog
- All-Star Game Weather: Storms causing traffic havoc, could force delay, postponement
- D.C. athletes are out in full force celebrating All-Star Week
- 2018 MLB All-Star Game: How to watch, starting lineups, full rosters
- John Wall knows the decision between loyalty and money is a tough one for Bryce Harper
- Cal Ripken Jr. finds nothing wrong with Bryce Harper's swing
- How to effectively spend money at the Fan Shop at the MLB All-Star FanFest
- Bryce Harper's 2018 Home Run Derby win by the numbers