Oct 29, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
Finalists for 2015 Gold Glove awards were announced on Thursday and two Nationals now find themselves in the top three for their respective positions.
Bryce Harper has been named a finalist for NL right fielders and Wilson Ramos is in the running for catchers. Neither have won a Gold Glove before in their careers.
Harper, who just turned 23, is in a group that includes Curtis Granderson of the New York Mets and Jason Heyward of the St. Louis Cardinals. Heyward has won the award twice before while Granderson has never won one. This season was Harper’s first year as a full-time right fielder.
Ramos, 28, is in some seriously good company with Yadier Molina of the Cardinals and Buster Posey of the San Francisco Giants. Molina and Posey are arguably the two best catchers in baseball and both could end up in the Hall of Fame. Molina has won the NL Gold Glove award for seven straight seasons.
Just getting nominated is a nice honor for Ramos, who this season appeared in a career-high 128 games. The Nats’ backstop has battled through injuries for much of his career and 2015 was a breakthrough for him.
Harper should win plenty of awards this offseason. He is also likely to be named NL MVP and receive a Silver Slugger for his position.
The award winners will be announced on Nov. 4. For a full rundown of the finalists, click here.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Grace, Howie Kendrick lead Nationals past San Diego Padres
- Max Scherzer scratched from start against San Diego, heading to DL
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay
- Andrew Stevenson makes game saving catch to help Nationals beat Marlins