Oct 29, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
Finalists for 2015 Gold Glove awards were announced on Thursday and two Nationals now find themselves in the top three for their respective positions.
Bryce Harper has been named a finalist for NL right fielders and Wilson Ramos is in the running for catchers. Neither have won a Gold Glove before in their careers.
Harper, who just turned 23, is in a group that includes Curtis Granderson of the New York Mets and Jason Heyward of the St. Louis Cardinals. Heyward has won the award twice before while Granderson has never won one. This season was Harper’s first year as a full-time right fielder.
Ramos, 28, is in some seriously good company with Yadier Molina of the Cardinals and Buster Posey of the San Francisco Giants. Molina and Posey are arguably the two best catchers in baseball and both could end up in the Hall of Fame. Molina has won the NL Gold Glove award for seven straight seasons.
Just getting nominated is a nice honor for Ramos, who this season appeared in a career-high 128 games. The Nats’ backstop has battled through injuries for much of his career and 2015 was a breakthrough for him.
Harper should win plenty of awards this offseason. He is also likely to be named NL MVP and receive a Silver Slugger for his position.
The award winners will be announced on Nov. 4. For a full rundown of the finalists, click here.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- The best 2018 MLB All-Star Game red carpet looks
- A quick recap of Tuesday's MLB All-Star Game, including how your Nats did
- 2018 MLB All-Star Game Live Blog
- All-Star Game Weather: Storms causing traffic havoc, could force delay, postponement
- D.C. athletes are out in full force celebrating All-Star Week
- 2018 MLB All-Star Game: How to watch, starting lineups, full rosters
- John Wall knows the decision between loyalty and money is a tough one for Bryce Harper
- Cal Ripken Jr. finds nothing wrong with Bryce Harper's swing
- How to effectively spend money at the Fan Shop at the MLB All-Star FanFest
- Bryce Harper's 2018 Home Run Derby win by the numbers