Oct 28, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT
WORLD SERIES GAME 2: NEW YORK METS AT KANSAS CITY ROYALS
Series: Royals lead 1-0
Where: Kaufmann Stadium, Kansas City
Gametime: 8:00 p.m.
Radio: ESPN Radio
Weather: Partly cloudy, 53 degrees, wind 8 mph
Starting pitchers: NYM RHP Jacob deGrom (14-8, 2.54 ERA) / KCR RHP Johnny Cueto (11-13, 3.44 ERA)
Game 1 on Tuesday night was an instant classic that saw the Royals take a 1-0 series lead on a walkoff sac fly. That was all after a game-tying home run by Alex Gordon, a bizarre delay on the FOX broadcast and the gutwrenching story involving Edinson Volquez and the death of his father.
It will be hard for Game 2 to provide that many storylines, but the pitching matchup sure has potential. The Mets will send Jacob deGrom out to the mound, who very well may be their best pitcher despite the fact Matt Harvey got the Game 1 nod. And the Royals will pitch Johnny Cueto, who has been one of the best starters in baseball over the last several years, just not since he was traded to Kansas City at the deadline and certainly not in these playoffs for the most part.
The Mets would seem to have a significant advantage when it comes to starting pitchers, but you could have said the same in Game 1 and look what happened. Game 2 will likely be another scratch-and-claw battle with a small margin for error deciding it all. One thing is for sure: the Mets do not want to go down 0-2 to this Royals team that has World Series experience and is playing like it. We’ll see if New York can even it up at 1-1, or if the Royals will travel East for Game 3 with a commanding 2-0 lead.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2017 fantasy baseball team names: The top 25
- Nationals, MLB betting odds and prop bets for 2017 season
- Donald Trump will not throw out Nationals Opening Day first pitch
- Watch Max Scherzer strike out Tim Tebow on just three pitches
- 2017 ballpark foods that are way better than peanuts and Cracker Jack
- Nationals Ace Max Scherzer will not be team's opening day starter
- Nationals' Tanner Roark pitches 4 scoreless innings in US defeat of Japan in WBC
- Tanner Roark to start in World Baseball Classic semifinals against Japan on Tuesday
- Dusty Baker concerned about Daniel Murphy not playing in World Baseball Classic
- Pitcher Max Scherzer 'probably not' starting for Nationals on opening day