Oct 27, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
WORLD SERIES GAME 1: NEW YORK METS AT KANSAS CITY ROYALS
Where: Kaufmann Stadium, Kansas City
Gametime: 8:00 p.m.
Radio: ESPN Radio
Weather: Chance of rain, 52 degrees, wind 2 mph
Starting pitchers: NYM RHP Matt Harvey (13-8, 2.71 ERA) / KCR RHP Edinson Volquez (13-9, 3.55 ERA)
The 2015 World Series gets started on Tuesday night in Kansas City and, man, do we have a good one. In one corner you have the upstart New York Mets with the best young pitching staff in recent memory and the hottest hitter on the planet. In the other you have the Kansas City Royals, who were last October’s breakout team and now have World Series experience to pull from. Whoever wins this will be crowned champions for the first time in decades, as the Mets last won in 1986 and the Royals in 1985.
The two teams have very different strengths with the Mets holding a significant advantage in starting pitching. Their rotation so far has held an impeccable 2.65 ERA in the playoffs. The Royals, on the other hand, have seen their starters post a 5.56 ERA and their staff overall sit at 4.41.
Both teams have been hot on offense this postseason with the Royals averaging 5.73 runs per game and the Mets 4.78. The shoulder injury of Yoenis Cespedes, however, presents a huge wild card for the Mets, as their lineup is dramatically different when he is swinging it well.
Matt Harvey will start Game 1 for the Mets and Edinson Volquez will take the mound for Kansas City. Harvey has allowed only four earned runs with 16 strikeouts across 12 2/3 innings in two playoff starts. Volquez has given up eight earned runs in 16 2/3 innings in three outings this postseason.
For more on the World Series, here is a preview from Tim Murray and I on ‘Baseball in the District:’
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trea Turner has a career game as Nats clobber Reds
- Harper's 10th-inning single lifts Nationals past Reds 6-5
- Max Scherzer's bid for third no-hitter ends in heartbreak
- The Nats got hot Tuesday in Miami with 12-3 win over Marlins
- Tanner Roark unable to preserve six-run lead before Marlins walk off Nationals in ninth
- Jacob DeGrom denies Nationals sweep of Mets on Father's Day
- Nationals hit three homers to win third straight game against Mets
- Nationals look to win series against Mets behind Stephen Strasburg
- Scherzer strikes out 10, leads Nationals over Mets 7-2
- Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Murphy dominated in Nationals' 8-3 win over the Mets