Oct 18, 2015, 6:03 PM EDT
NLCS GAME 2: CHICAGO CUBS AT NEW YORK METS
Series: Mets lead 1-0
Where: Citi Field, New York
Gametime: 8:00 p.m.
Radio: ESPN Radio
Weather: Partly cloudy, 46 degrees, wind 6 mph
Starting pitchers: CHC RHP Jake Arrieta (22-6, 1.77 ERA) / NYM RHP Noah Syndergaard (9-7, 3.24 ERA)
The Mets took the first game of the NL Championship Series thanks to a dominant performance by Matt Harvey, who bested Jon Lester despite the latter’s long history of playoff success. Now the Cubs will turn to Jake Arrieta as they aim to even this series before it heads back to Wrigley Field.
Arrieta has been brilliant this season and the Cubs will need that to continue on Sunday night. The right-hander was solid in his first playoff game when he tossed nine shutout innings against the Pirates in the NL Wild Card game. But in his second outing he struggled with four earned runs in 5 2/3 innings in Game 3 of the NLDS. The Cubs did win that game despite Arrieta’s uneven performance.
Rookie Noah Syndergaard will take the mound for New York with the Mets hoping to take a two-game lead in the series. Syndergaard pitched twice in the NLDS, once as a starter and once as a reliever. He started Game 2 and gave up three earned runs in 6 1/3 innings in a Mets loss. He then threw a scoreless seventh inning in Game 5 highlighted by several pitches that topped 100 miles per hour on the radar gun.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trea Turner has a career game as Nats clobber Reds
- Harper's 10th-inning single lifts Nationals past Reds 6-5
- Max Scherzer's bid for third no-hitter ends in heartbreak
- The Nats got hot Tuesday in Miami with 12-3 win over Marlins
- Tanner Roark unable to preserve six-run lead before Marlins walk off Nationals in ninth
- Jacob DeGrom denies Nationals sweep of Mets on Father's Day
- Nationals hit three homers to win third straight game against Mets
- Nationals look to win series against Mets behind Stephen Strasburg
- Scherzer strikes out 10, leads Nationals over Mets 7-2
- Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Murphy dominated in Nationals' 8-3 win over the Mets