Oct 12, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT
Three members of the Nationals’ coaching staff who were dismissed with manager Matt Williams last week will remain with the organization in new roles next season, the club announced Monday.
Randy Knorr, who had served as bench coach for both Williams and Davey Johnson, has accepted a newly created position: senior assistant to the general manager for player development. A player, coach or minor-league manager with the Expos/Nationals organization since 2001, Knorr had been revealed by general manager Mike Rizzo as a candidate for the vacant managerial position, but it appears the 46-year-old will be remaining in a different capacity.
Bob Henley, the Nationals’ third base coach the last two seasons, will become senior adviser for player development. A member of the organization since the Expos drafted him in 1991, Henley had spent much of the last decade as the club’s minor-league field coordinator and/or manager of its Gulf Coast League team in Viera, Fla.
Matt LeCroy, who had been Williams’ bullpen coach, will become manager at Class AA Harrisburg, a position he held from 2012-13. The former major-league catcher and DH had previously managed at low-Class A Hagerstown and high-Class A Potomac.
Brian Daubach, who had managed at Harrisburg, will become hitting coach at Class AAA Syracuse.
Steve McCatty (pitching coach), Rick Schu (hitting coach), Tony Tarasco (first base coach) and Mark Weidemaier (defensive coordinator, advance coach) were the other members of Williams’ big-league staff and were dismissed last week.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Murphy, Scherzer slam Mets with 7th straight win
- Daniel Murphy strikes again vs. Mets with second career grand slam
- MLB Power Rankings: The Beltway gets well represented
- Gio Gonzalez leads Nats to 6th straight win with 3-1 victory against Mets
- Nationals win fifth in a row as Harper powers Nats past Mets
- Nationals pick up sweep of Braves behind Stephen Strasburg's strong night
- Bryce Harper has monster night as Nats slam Braves 14-4
- Jayson Werth leaves Nationals game vs. Braves with undisclosed injury
- Bryce Harper mashes grand slam, continues dominance of helpless Braves pitcher
- Jayson Werth goes after home plate umpire CB Bucknor after horrendously blown call in ninth inning almost costs Nationals