Oct 6, 2015, 4:31 PM EDT
AL WILD CARD GAME: HOUSTON ASTROS AT NEW YORK YANKEES
Where: Yankee Stadium, New York
Gametime: 8:00 p.m.
Radio: ESPN Radio
Weather: Partly cloudy, 67 degrees, wind 2 mph
Starting pitchers: HOU LHP Dallas Keuchel (20–8, 2.48 ERA) / NYY RHP Masahiro Tanaka (12–7, 3.51 ERA)
After one day with no baseball, games return on Tuesday with the first matchup of the 2015 postseason. The upstart Houston Astros will travel to New York to play the Yankees with the winner advancing to play the Kansas City Royals in a five-game AL division series.
Lefty Dallas Keuchel (20-8, 2.48) will start for Houston after leading the AL in wins this season and finishing second in ERA. The 27-year-old ace is on the shortlist of Cy Young favorites and has emerged as one of the best young pitchers in baseball.
Keuchel faced the Yankees twice this season and pitched a combined 16 scoreless innings in those games. He has 21 strikeouts and only one walk against the Yankees in 2015. New York, however, does boast the second-best offense in the majors in terms of runs scored.
Masahiro Tanaka (12-7, 3.51) will start for the Yankees in his first career playoff game. He saw Houston once this season and gave up six earned runs on three homers in five innings on June 27. The Astros are also a high-powered offense, ranking sixth in runs scored and second in homers.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Grace, Howie Kendrick lead Nationals past San Diego Padres
- Max Scherzer scratched from start against San Diego, heading to DL
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay
- Andrew Stevenson makes game saving catch to help Nationals beat Marlins