Oct 2, 2015, 4:36 PM EDT
NEW YORK — The opener of the Nationals’ final series of the season has been postponed, with heavy rain and strong wind pelting Citi Field all afternoon and not expected to let up all night.
The Nats and Mets will play a day-night doubleheader Saturday, with a makeup game at 1:10 p.m. and the originally scheduled game at 7:10 p.m.
Gio Gonzalez, Friday night’s starter, will pitch the opener against Noah Syndergaard. Max Scherzer and Matt Harvey will face off in the nightcap.
Though this series essentially is meaningless — the Mets clinched the NL East title a week ago — there is still one thing at stake. New York (89-70) is tied with Los Angeles for home-field advantage in their upcoming National League Division Series, leaving some pressure to play these final three games.
The forecast initially looked bleak all weekend, but with Hurricane Joaquin now expected to move out to sea and not directly impact the East Coast, conditions should be fine in New York on Saturday and Sunday.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2018 MLB Home Run Derby: Bracket, time, odds and how to watch
- Murphy's big hit helps Nats beat Mets 6-1
- MLB All-Star FanFest: Searching for a jersey from every team
- Nats fall below .500 again with Saturday's loss to Mets
- Davey Martinez meets with Bryce Harper after he jogs to first
- Nationals get first look at starting pitcher Austin Voth
- 2018 Celebrity Softball Game: Full list of participants and details on how to watch
- Tanner Roark becomes first 12-game loser in majors as Nats fall to Mets
- This year's National League All-Star team is serving seriously good dog content. But who are the best boys?
- Nationals to play Mets in Syndergaard's return from DL