Oct 2, 2015, 4:36 PM EST
NEW YORK — The opener of the Nationals’ final series of the season has been postponed, with heavy rain and strong wind pelting Citi Field all afternoon and not expected to let up all night.
The Nats and Mets will play a day-night doubleheader Saturday, with a makeup game at 1:10 p.m. and the originally scheduled game at 7:10 p.m.
Gio Gonzalez, Friday night’s starter, will pitch the opener against Noah Syndergaard. Max Scherzer and Matt Harvey will face off in the nightcap.
Though this series essentially is meaningless — the Mets clinched the NL East title a week ago — there is still one thing at stake. New York (89-70) is tied with Los Angeles for home-field advantage in their upcoming National League Division Series, leaving some pressure to play these final three games.
The forecast initially looked bleak all weekend, but with Hurricane Joaquin now expected to move out to sea and not directly impact the East Coast, conditions should be fine in New York on Saturday and Sunday.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals re-sign Howie Kendrick for two-years
- See hilarious highlights from Nats' Racing Presidents tryouts
- Bryce Harper enjoyed the story of Alex Luey and Ovechkin's hat trick for the young cancer survivor
- Max Scherzer Giving Away Memorabilia For Good Cause
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists
- Matt Wieters will return to Nationals in 2018 with player-option