Oct 2, 2015, 4:36 PM EDT
NEW YORK — The opener of the Nationals’ final series of the season has been postponed, with heavy rain and strong wind pelting Citi Field all afternoon and not expected to let up all night.
The Nats and Mets will play a day-night doubleheader Saturday, with a makeup game at 1:10 p.m. and the originally scheduled game at 7:10 p.m.
Gio Gonzalez, Friday night’s starter, will pitch the opener against Noah Syndergaard. Max Scherzer and Matt Harvey will face off in the nightcap.
Though this series essentially is meaningless — the Mets clinched the NL East title a week ago — there is still one thing at stake. New York (89-70) is tied with Los Angeles for home-field advantage in their upcoming National League Division Series, leaving some pressure to play these final three games.
The forecast initially looked bleak all weekend, but with Hurricane Joaquin now expected to move out to sea and not directly impact the East Coast, conditions should be fine in New York on Saturday and Sunday.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2017 MLB Power Rankings: The Dodgers don't lose anymore
- Ten very good Pups in the Park who don't care that the Nats lost
- Nationals can't overcome Tanner Roark's first inning, lose to Reds
- Trea Turner has a career game as Nats clobber Reds
- Harper's 10th-inning single lifts Nationals past Reds 6-5
- Max Scherzer's bid for third no-hitter ends in heartbreak
- The Nats got hot Tuesday in Miami with 12-3 win over Marlins
- Tanner Roark unable to preserve six-run lead before Marlins walk off Nationals in ninth
- Jacob DeGrom denies Nationals sweep of Mets on Father's Day
- Nationals hit three homers to win third straight game against Mets