Sep 27, 2015, 7:02 PM EST
By the time the bottom of the eighth inning concluded, images of Jonathan Papelbon and Bryce Harper’s dugout scuffle had just begun to circulate around Nats Park.
Given the emotions exerted between the two (Harper was seen charging into the clubhouse in frustration) and the fact that Papelbon had already pitched the previous frame, it seemed like manager Matt Williams would give both participants of the melee the rest of the day off, if for no other reason than to cool down.
Harper did indeed hit the showers, but Papelbon didn’t join him. Instead, the 34-year-old reliever came right back to the mound for the ninth to pitch in front of an increasingly hostile crowd. So why did Williams sit his best player, yet let his volatile closer stay in the game?
“At the time it’s a tie game,” Williams explained. “That’s all I’m going to say on the matter. He’s our closer. He’s our closer. In a tie game, he’s in the ballgame in the ninth inning.”
To say the decision backfired on the Nats’ skipper would be an understatement. It not only set up a 12-5 loss, but gave way to one of the ugliest scenes of an already disappointing season. As Papelbon yielded baserunner after baserunner, the crowd of 28,661 hurled boos and other unpleasantries in his direction as he continued to implode. In all, he allowed five runs (two earned) en route to taking the loss in what without question was his worst moment in a Nats uniform.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How to watch NBC Sports Washington's full interview with Nationals owner Mark Lerner
- Radio silence from Bryce Harper hasn't quieted Mark Lerner's confidence in Nationals
- Exclusive: Nats owner Mark Lerner says they haven't heard from Bryce Harper and Scott Boras in months
- What’s next for Trea Turner? Running (a lot) more
- Nationals reportedly have no plans to give Bryce Harper a mega-deal comparable to Manny Machado’s
- Anthony Rendon is ‘all ears’ if the Nationals want to continue talking extension
- NHL Hall of Famer Bobby Orr visits Nationals Spring Training
- The latest reports and rumors about Bryce Harper, one day after Manny Machado picked Padres
- A quick inside look at the Nationals Circle of Trust, which jumpstarts each day
- How does Manny Machado's deal affect Bryce Harper? Racing Presidents crew reacts