Sep 27, 2015, 7:02 PM EDT
By the time the bottom of the eighth inning concluded, images of Jonathan Papelbon and Bryce Harper’s dugout scuffle had just begun to circulate around Nats Park.
Given the emotions exerted between the two (Harper was seen charging into the clubhouse in frustration) and the fact that Papelbon had already pitched the previous frame, it seemed like manager Matt Williams would give both participants of the melee the rest of the day off, if for no other reason than to cool down.
Harper did indeed hit the showers, but Papelbon didn’t join him. Instead, the 34-year-old reliever came right back to the mound for the ninth to pitch in front of an increasingly hostile crowd. So why did Williams sit his best player, yet let his volatile closer stay in the game?
“At the time it’s a tie game,” Williams explained. “That’s all I’m going to say on the matter. He’s our closer. He’s our closer. In a tie game, he’s in the ballgame in the ninth inning.”
To say the decision backfired on the Nats’ skipper would be an understatement. It not only set up a 12-5 loss, but gave way to one of the ugliest scenes of an already disappointing season. As Papelbon yielded baserunner after baserunner, the crowd of 28,661 hurled boos and other unpleasantries in his direction as he continued to implode. In all, he allowed five runs (two earned) en route to taking the loss in what without question was his worst moment in a Nats uniform.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2018 Nationals Position Review: The Nationals outfield is built to succeed
- Bryce Harper to the Dodgers? Looking at the chances Harper ends up in Los Angeles
- Breaking down Bryce Harper's early years of stardom with the Nationals
- Ex-Oriole Manny Machado homers off ex-National Gio Gonzalez in NLCS Game 1
- Nationals get offseason started by acquiring righty reliever Kyle Barraclough from Marlins
- Bryce Harper to the Cubs? His personal connections to Chicago could make it happen
- Jacob deGrom will and should win National League Cy Young over Max Scherzer
- All of Juan Soto's rookie season milestones and accomplishments
- Bryce Harper to the Cubs is what oddsmakers think will happen
- Nationals' biggest offseason questions begin with Bryce Harper's free agency