Sep 22, 2015, 6:20 PM EST
Danny Espinosa is generally considered one of the toughest players on the Nationals, a guy who has played through bumps and bruises the size of watermelons, manager Matt Williams likes to say.
So, when Espinosa goes down with an injury, you can bet it’s something relatively serious. The Nats infielder, who has not played since Sept. 17, was diagnosed with a tear in his right hamstring after receiving an MRI on Tuesday.
“He’s got a tear in his attachment in his right hamstring. It’s gotten better, but tests confirmed today that he’s got a little tear in there. So, we’re going to have to be cautious with him, for sure,” Williams said.
Exactly how long Espinosa will be sidelined has not been specified by the Nationals, but one has to wonder how much of him we will see with only 13 games remaining on the schedule and the potential for playoff elimination growing by the day.
Espinosa’s hamstring has improved since he first hurt it on Sept. 14 in a game against the Phillies. But even using him as a pinch-hitter right now is unlikely.
“It’s an injury that even if you’re pinch-hitting, you can damage,” Williams explained. “Getting out the box, getting a double, whatever it is. We’ll have to have the doc read it when he gets here today again and give us his thoughts. But he’s got a little bit of a tear in there.”
Williams said the potential for surgery this offseason has not been discussed, but making sure it does not get worse is a big priority.
“We’ll have to see how he reacts. He’s reacted well to all the treatment. We’ll go from there. That will be an everyday thing,” Williams said.
Espinosa is hitting .240/.311/.409 with 13 homers and 37 RBI in 118 games this season.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Will Mike Rizzo continue to shape the Nationals? The Junkies believe he's too valuable to lose
- Nationals re-sign Howie Kendrick for two-years
- See hilarious highlights from Nats' Racing Presidents tryouts
- Bryce Harper enjoyed the story of Alex Luey and Ovechkin's hat trick for the young cancer survivor
- Max Scherzer Giving Away Memorabilia For Good Cause
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists