Sep 21, 2015, 8:14 PM EST
Updated at 8:52 p.m.
The Nationals’ series opener against the Orioles has been postponed due to rain. It will be made up at 4:05 p.m. Thursday.
The two clubs were set to open the second half of their annual Battle of the Beltways interleague series, but a steady rain began falling at Nationals Park around 4:30 p.m. and wasn’t expected to let up until much later in the evening.
Thursday was a common off-day for both clubs, making it an obvious choice for the makeup game. Traffic, though, could be an issue with the Pope wrapping up his visit to the District. It also required approval from the players’ association, because it leaves the Nationals with 24 consecutive scheduled game days, four more than the maximum allowed.
“It is what it is,” manager Matt Williams said. “We’ve got to play, and play well and win baseball games. So we’ll hopefully start that again tomorrow.”
Both the Nationals and Orioles will push back Monday’s scheduled starters (Gio Gonzalez and Ubaldo Jimenez) to pitch Tuesday night. The Orioles announced the rest of their rotation will remain in order, with Chris Tillman on Wednesday and Tyler Wilson on Thursday.
The Nationals, meanwhile, may decide to alter their rotation after Gonzalez starts Tuesday, potentially choosing to skip Tanner Roark’s spot and go straight to Max Scherzer and Jordan Zimmermann on normal rest.
“Given the rainout, we can look at some things. We’re in the process of doing that. But as far as tomorrow, it’ll be Gio.”
“Given tonight’s cancellation, we can set it up,” Williams said. “Depending on everybody’s health, of course, and how everybody’s feeling and their off-days and regular rest and all of that. We’ll do that tonight and have more information for you tomorrow on that.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates
- 2018 MLB Power Rankings
- Nationals release 2018 Spring Training TV schedule
- Will Mike Rizzo continue to shape the Nationals? The Junkies believe he's too valuable to lose
- Nationals re-sign Howie Kendrick for two-years