Sep 21, 2015, 8:14 PM EDT
Updated at 8:52 p.m.
The Nationals’ series opener against the Orioles has been postponed due to rain. It will be made up at 4:05 p.m. Thursday.
The two clubs were set to open the second half of their annual Battle of the Beltways interleague series, but a steady rain began falling at Nationals Park around 4:30 p.m. and wasn’t expected to let up until much later in the evening.
Thursday was a common off-day for both clubs, making it an obvious choice for the makeup game. Traffic, though, could be an issue with the Pope wrapping up his visit to the District. It also required approval from the players’ association, because it leaves the Nationals with 24 consecutive scheduled game days, four more than the maximum allowed.
“It is what it is,” manager Matt Williams said. “We’ve got to play, and play well and win baseball games. So we’ll hopefully start that again tomorrow.”
Both the Nationals and Orioles will push back Monday’s scheduled starters (Gio Gonzalez and Ubaldo Jimenez) to pitch Tuesday night. The Orioles announced the rest of their rotation will remain in order, with Chris Tillman on Wednesday and Tyler Wilson on Thursday.
The Nationals, meanwhile, may decide to alter their rotation after Gonzalez starts Tuesday, potentially choosing to skip Tanner Roark’s spot and go straight to Max Scherzer and Jordan Zimmermann on normal rest.
“Given the rainout, we can look at some things. We’re in the process of doing that. But as far as tomorrow, it’ll be Gio.”
“Given tonight’s cancellation, we can set it up,” Williams said. “Depending on everybody’s health, of course, and how everybody’s feeling and their off-days and regular rest and all of that. We’ll do that tonight and have more information for you tomorrow on that.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals Ace Max Scherzer will not be team's opening day starter
- Nationals' Tanner Roark pitches 4 scoreless innings in US defeat of Japan in WBC
- Tanner Roark to start in World Baseball Classic semifinals against Japan on Tuesday
- Dusty Baker concerned about Daniel Murphy not playing in World Baseball Classic
- Pitcher Max Scherzer 'probably not' starting for Nationals on opening day
- After tough 2016, Bryce Harper looks dominant in spring training
- Report: Nationals sign John Lannan to minor league deal
- Max Scherzer knuckles down, comes up with new fastball grip
- Stephen Strasburg is not trying to reinvent himself, but he is simplifying things
- Nats open new $150 million spring training site with walk-off win