Sep 21, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
One day after it was revealed by the Nationals that infielder Danny Espinosa has been dealing with a right hamstring injury, manager Matt Williams said the next step will be an MRI, set for Tuesday.
Espinosa has a right hamstring strain that was diagnosed after he underwent an ultrasound. Now he will require further testing before they can determine exactly how long he will be sidelined.
Williams said Espinosa sustained the injury on Sept. 14 in a game against the Philadelphia Phillies on a play in the 11th inning. Espinosa scored the winning run after drawing a walk as a pinch-hitter.
“I believe it was on the slide in Philly. He scored from third base on a slide in Philly and felt it there. He was really non-functional the next day. Then, we’ve been trying to get him a spot where he can pinch-hit potentially and we can run for him since we’ve got extra guys. But other than that, he really hasn’t been able to go,” Williams explained.
Espinosa, 28, is batting .240/.311/.409 with 13 homers, 37 RBI and 59 runs scored in 118 games this season. He has appeared in one game since hurting his hamstring, as he had one at-bat as a pinch-hitter on Sept. 17 against the Marlins.
Anthony Rendon, who is usually their starting second baseman, was also out on Sunday with the flu. That thrust rookie Trea Turner into the Nats lineup and he produced with a single, a walk and a run.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper named National League Player of the Week
- Charlie Blackmon hits 2-run homer, Rockies beat Nationals 8-4
- Murphy, Scherzer slam Mets with 7th straight win
- Daniel Murphy strikes again vs. Mets with second career grand slam
- MLB Power Rankings: The Beltway gets well represented
- Gio Gonzalez leads Nats to 6th straight win with 3-1 victory against Mets
- Nationals win fifth in a row as Harper powers Nats past Mets
- Nationals pick up sweep of Braves behind Stephen Strasburg's strong night
- Bryce Harper has monster night as Nats slam Braves 14-4
- Jayson Werth leaves Nationals game vs. Braves with undisclosed injury