Sep 21, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
One day after it was revealed by the Nationals that infielder Danny Espinosa has been dealing with a right hamstring injury, manager Matt Williams said the next step will be an MRI, set for Tuesday.
Espinosa has a right hamstring strain that was diagnosed after he underwent an ultrasound. Now he will require further testing before they can determine exactly how long he will be sidelined.
Williams said Espinosa sustained the injury on Sept. 14 in a game against the Philadelphia Phillies on a play in the 11th inning. Espinosa scored the winning run after drawing a walk as a pinch-hitter.
“I believe it was on the slide in Philly. He scored from third base on a slide in Philly and felt it there. He was really non-functional the next day. Then, we’ve been trying to get him a spot where he can pinch-hit potentially and we can run for him since we’ve got extra guys. But other than that, he really hasn’t been able to go,” Williams explained.
Espinosa, 28, is batting .240/.311/.409 with 13 homers, 37 RBI and 59 runs scored in 118 games this season. He has appeared in one game since hurting his hamstring, as he had one at-bat as a pinch-hitter on Sept. 17 against the Marlins.
Anthony Rendon, who is usually their starting second baseman, was also out on Sunday with the flu. That thrust rookie Trea Turner into the Nats lineup and he produced with a single, a walk and a run.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Did Max Scherzer's dance moves cause the Junkies' broadcast to lose power?
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine