Sep 4, 2015, 5:52 PM EDT
Michael Taylor is out of the Nationals’ starting lineup for Friday’s game vs. the Atlanta Braves with a bruised right knee, marking the third straight game he’s missed with injury.
The rookie centerfielder said Friday that he re-aggravated his previously bruised knee Monday night in St. Louis when he was making a throw from center to home plate.
“Swelling came back a little bit and a little bit of the stiffness,” Taylor explained, “but other than that I feel good.”
Manager Matt Williams mentioned that while Taylor’s recent MRI results showed no further damage, the team would not rush him back onto the field before he’s ready.
“[Thursday] when we showed up here, he wasn’t feeling real good,” Williams said. “So we’ll make sure that we [be] on the cautious side on that one. Having that injury and then being able to play and having it flare up again is a concern.”
Though Taylor is not in the starting lineup, the Nats have listed him as being available off the bench.
The 24-year-old originally injured his knee last Thursday when he collided into the centerfield wall while trying to make a catch against the San Diego Padres.
“I think it’s healing and as long as I don’t have a setback or anything like that,” he said. “I imagine I’ll be over it in a couple days.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals offense provides no support in Strasburg's return
- Matt Grace, Howie Kendrick lead Nationals past San Diego Padres
- Max Scherzer scratched from start against San Diego, heading to DL
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay