Sep 4, 2015, 5:52 PM EST
Michael Taylor is out of the Nationals’ starting lineup for Friday’s game vs. the Atlanta Braves with a bruised right knee, marking the third straight game he’s missed with injury.
The rookie centerfielder said Friday that he re-aggravated his previously bruised knee Monday night in St. Louis when he was making a throw from center to home plate.
“Swelling came back a little bit and a little bit of the stiffness,” Taylor explained, “but other than that I feel good.”
Manager Matt Williams mentioned that while Taylor’s recent MRI results showed no further damage, the team would not rush him back onto the field before he’s ready.
“[Thursday] when we showed up here, he wasn’t feeling real good,” Williams said. “So we’ll make sure that we [be] on the cautious side on that one. Having that injury and then being able to play and having it flare up again is a concern.”
Though Taylor is not in the starting lineup, the Nats have listed him as being available off the bench.
The 24-year-old originally injured his knee last Thursday when he collided into the centerfield wall while trying to make a catch against the San Diego Padres.
“I think it’s healing and as long as I don’t have a setback or anything like that,” he said. “I imagine I’ll be over it in a couple days.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates
- 2018 MLB Power Rankings
- Nationals release 2018 Spring Training TV schedule
- Will Mike Rizzo continue to shape the Nationals? The Junkies believe he's too valuable to lose
- Nationals re-sign Howie Kendrick for two-years