Sep 3, 2015, 5:47 PM EDT
[Updated: 5:52 p.m.]
The Nationals added two more players to push their active roster to 32 on Thursday by calling up right-hander A.J. Cole from Triple-A Syracuse and activating first baseman Tyler Moore off the disabled list.
Cole, 23, rejoins the Nationals for his third stint of the 2015 season. He made his MLB debut on April 28 and has a 5.79 ERA in three total games for the Nats. Cole has allowed 11 runs (six earned) in 9 1/3 big league innings.
Cole was very good with Syracuse this season. In 21 games – 19 of them starts – Cole held a 3.15 ERA with 76 strikeouts in 105 2/3 innings.
Nats manager Matt Williams expects Cole to settle into a long relief role for the remainder of this season.
“He’s a starter, so the long role is where he fits. A couple of innings if need-be. He made his start and he’s three days rest today. So, to send him out there and expect him to go six today would probably not be realistic. But once we get past today, if he’s not used, then he’s full rest and ready to go,” he said.
Moore, 28, comes off the disabled list after rehabbing a sprained left ankle. The injury occurred when he stepped on a baseball in the indoor batting cage at Nationals Park.
Moore is batting .200 with four homers, 22 RBI and 10 doubles in 79 games this season with the Nats.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper thanks Nationals fans for support during 2017 season
- 20 things D.C. sports fans should be really happy about, playoff success or not
- Nationals Game 5 meltdown yet another reminder why D.C. can't have nice things
- With contractual decisions looming, Nats missed chance at stress-free World Series run
- Nationals suffer postseason heartbreak yet again in lengthy, controversial Game 5 loss
- NLDS 2017: Nationals vs. Cubs Game 5 Live Blog
- Nationals place faith in Gio Gonzalez, name him Game 5 starter vs. Cubs
- D.C. Metro extends hours for Nationals vs. Cubs Game 5
- Nationals 2017 Postseason Game 5 NLDS vs. Cubs: Date, Time, TV Channel and How to Watch
- Strasburg spins gem, Taylor hits grand slam to force Game 5 vs. Cubs