Sep 3, 2015, 5:47 PM EDT
[Updated: 5:52 p.m.]
The Nationals added two more players to push their active roster to 32 on Thursday by calling up right-hander A.J. Cole from Triple-A Syracuse and activating first baseman Tyler Moore off the disabled list.
Cole, 23, rejoins the Nationals for his third stint of the 2015 season. He made his MLB debut on April 28 and has a 5.79 ERA in three total games for the Nats. Cole has allowed 11 runs (six earned) in 9 1/3 big league innings.
Cole was very good with Syracuse this season. In 21 games – 19 of them starts – Cole held a 3.15 ERA with 76 strikeouts in 105 2/3 innings.
Nats manager Matt Williams expects Cole to settle into a long relief role for the remainder of this season.
“He’s a starter, so the long role is where he fits. A couple of innings if need-be. He made his start and he’s three days rest today. So, to send him out there and expect him to go six today would probably not be realistic. But once we get past today, if he’s not used, then he’s full rest and ready to go,” he said.
Moore, 28, comes off the disabled list after rehabbing a sprained left ankle. The injury occurred when he stepped on a baseball in the indoor batting cage at Nationals Park.
Moore is batting .200 with four homers, 22 RBI and 10 doubles in 79 games this season with the Nats.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals offense provides no support in Strasburg's return
- Matt Grace, Howie Kendrick lead Nationals past San Diego Padres
- Max Scherzer scratched from start against San Diego, heading to DL
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay