Sep 3, 2015, 5:47 PM EST
[Updated: 5:52 p.m.]
The Nationals added two more players to push their active roster to 32 on Thursday by calling up right-hander A.J. Cole from Triple-A Syracuse and activating first baseman Tyler Moore off the disabled list.
Cole, 23, rejoins the Nationals for his third stint of the 2015 season. He made his MLB debut on April 28 and has a 5.79 ERA in three total games for the Nats. Cole has allowed 11 runs (six earned) in 9 1/3 big league innings.
Cole was very good with Syracuse this season. In 21 games – 19 of them starts – Cole held a 3.15 ERA with 76 strikeouts in 105 2/3 innings.
Nats manager Matt Williams expects Cole to settle into a long relief role for the remainder of this season.
“He’s a starter, so the long role is where he fits. A couple of innings if need-be. He made his start and he’s three days rest today. So, to send him out there and expect him to go six today would probably not be realistic. But once we get past today, if he’s not used, then he’s full rest and ready to go,” he said.
Moore, 28, comes off the disabled list after rehabbing a sprained left ankle. The injury occurred when he stepped on a baseball in the indoor batting cage at Nationals Park.
Moore is batting .200 with four homers, 22 RBI and 10 doubles in 79 games this season with the Nats.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates
- 2018 MLB Power Rankings
- Nationals release 2018 Spring Training TV schedule
- Will Mike Rizzo continue to shape the Nationals? The Junkies believe he's too valuable to lose
- Nationals re-sign Howie Kendrick for two-years