Sep 2, 2015, 10:16 PM EST
Bryce Harper departed Wednesday night’s game in St. Louis in the fourth inning with “left glute tightness,” according to the Nationals.
Harper popped out to lead off the fourth, reaching for the pitch from Cardinals left-hander Tyler Lyons and jogging only a few steps out of the batter’s box before turning around and walking back to the Nationals’ dugout. He had a brief conversation with manager Matt Williams, then grabbed his equipment and retreated back down the tunnel toward the visitors’ clubhouse.
The Nationals typically do not give out in-game information on players who depart with injuries, but shortly after Harper left the game they announced the ailment that sidelined him.
Harper, who started in center field after Michael Taylor was scratched with right knee soreness, was 0-for-2 with a strikeout in the game. He was replaced by Matt den Dekker, who suddenly became the club’s No. 3 hitter in a must-win game.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists
- Matt Wieters will return to Nationals in 2018 with player-option
- Houston Astros shut out lights in Hollywood, bring home first World Series title
- Is Bryce Harper flirting with Chicago?
- Whoa. Dusty Baker not returning as Nationals' manager. What comes next?
- Nationals second baseman Daniel Murphy undergoes successful knee surgery