Sep 2, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT
The Nationals may have blown two golden opportunities to win games in St. Louis the last two nights, but the Cardinals also did their part to present the Nats with those opportunities, whether in Mike Matheny’s bullpen usage or the need to start Marco Gonzales instead of Carlos Martinez last night. And for tonight’s series finale, they’re once again offering the Nationals a potential life boat: Rookie left-hander Tyler Lyons will start in place of Michael Wacha.
Can the Nats actually take advantage of this opportunity for a change? We’ll see. They’ll have the exact same lineup out there as last night. (Sorry to all the Danny Espinosa supporters out there.)
[Updated: Espinosa is in the lineup after all, as Michael Taylor has been scratched due to soreness in his right knee. He first injured his knee last Thursday after running into a wall while playing against the Padres]
They’ll also have Max Scherzer on the mound, pitching in his hometown, desperately needing to get back on track after a brutal month of August. The Nationals simply can’t afford for their ace to falter again.
I’d tell everyone to enjoy the game, but I know that’s kind of tough to do right now. So I’ll just tell you to hang in there and please keep up the conversation here…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
Where: Busch Stadium, St. Louis
Gametime: 8:15 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, ESPN, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 185/869
Weather: Partly cloudy, 87 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to LF
RF Jayson Werth
2B Anthony Rendon
CF Bryce Harper
1B Ryan Zimmerman
3B Yunel Escobar
SS Ian Desmond
C Wilson Ramos
CF Michael TaylorLF Danny Espinosa
RHP Max Scherzer
3B Matt Carpenter
LF Stephen Piscotty
RF Jason Heyward
SS Jhonny Peralta
1B Brandon Moss
CF Tommy Pham
2B Kolten Wong
C Tony Cruz
LHP Tyler Lyons
HP John Tumpane
1B James Hoye
2B Bill Welke
3B John Hirschbeck (cc)
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals offense provides no support in Strasburg's return
- Matt Grace, Howie Kendrick lead Nationals past San Diego Padres
- Max Scherzer scratched from start against San Diego, heading to DL
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay