Sep 1, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT
The Nationals’ first round of September call-ups include a third-string catcher making his major-league debut, an extra long reliever with experience earlier this season and a veteran hitter returning from a minor injury.
Catcher Pedro Severino, left-hander Sammy Solis and infielder Dan Uggla all were added to the Nationals’ roster before Tuesday night’s game in St. Louis, giving the club a few extra reinforcements for the season’s final month.
Severino makes his big-league debut after spending the season at Class AA Harrisburg, where he hit .246 with a .288 on-base percentage and .331 slugging percentage. Touted as a strong defensive catcher, the 22-year-old Dominican native probably won’t see significant playing time down the stretch, but his presence allows manager Matt Williams to use either Jose Lobaton or Wilson Ramos as a pinch-hitter without burning up his only backup catcher.
Solis rejoins the Nationals bullpen after three stints earlier this year, when he went 1-1 with a 5.54 ERA in 10 appearances. The 27-year-old lefty posted a 2.02 ERA and two saves in nine appearances at Class AAA Syracuse following his most-recent demotion.
Uggla returns after missing 22 games with back spasms, which landed the veteran on the DL for the first time in his 10-year career. He hit .191 with a .294 on-base percentage and .291 slugging percentage over 126 plate appearances before suffering the injury, with his one home run capping the Nationals’ record comeback victory April 28 in Atlanta.
In order to make room for Severino on the club’s 40-man roster, the Nationals transferred reliever David Carpenter to the 60-day DL. Carpenter has been out since July 16 with right shoulder inflammation.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay
- Andrew Stevenson makes game saving catch to help Nationals beat Marlins
- All nickname jerseys for the Washington Nationals
- Ryan Zimmerman breaks franchise record against Marlins
- Not even the Nationals can slow down Giancarlo Stanton