Aug 27, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
[Updated 11:09 p.m.]
Nationals third baseman Yunel Escobar left Thursday night’s game against the San Diego Padres with a right hand contusion after being hit by a 97 mile per hour fastball during an at-bat against Andrew Cashner.
Escobar with hit with the bases loaded in the bottom of the fifth inning. The HBP scored a run, but it resulted in Escobar immediately falling to the dirt in a heap.
The Nats’ veteran is now considered day-to-day after X-rays showed no structural damage.
“Ball got him in the back of the right hand. Had some swelling,” manager Matt Williams said. “He’s day-to-day. We’ll see how he is tomorrow.”
Escobar remained on the ground for several moments after getting hit as Williams and trainer Steve Gober rushed to his aid. He was able to rise and walk to first to remain in the game for the remainder of the inning.
Escobar was out on the next play as Ian Desmond grounded out to second baseman Yangervis Solarte, who tagged him. Escobar was then replaced in the top of the sixth as the Nationals emerged from the dugout to play defense. Danny Espinosa came in to play second base, while Anthony Rendon moved from second to third.
Escobar, 32, is batting .308 with nine home runs and 42 RBI this season. He has dealt with several minor injuries this season, including a few involving his wrists. He left the team’s June 5 game after injuring his right wrist on a check-swing.
Escobar has now left eight of the Nationals’ games this season due to injury. Two times have been because of his right hand (including Thursday) and three times have involved his left hand. The other three dealt with his hamstring (July 6), his groin (April 17) and his neck (Aug. 21).
The previous seven times Escobar left a game with an injury, he did not miss more than a handful of games.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Murphy, Scherzer slam Mets with 7th straight win
- Daniel Murphy strikes again vs. Mets with second career grand slam
- MLB Power Rankings: The Beltway gets well represented
- Gio Gonzalez leads Nats to 6th straight win with 3-1 victory against Mets
- Nationals win fifth in a row as Harper powers Nats past Mets
- Nationals pick up sweep of Braves behind Stephen Strasburg's strong night
- Bryce Harper has monster night as Nats slam Braves 14-4
- Jayson Werth leaves Nationals game vs. Braves with undisclosed injury
- Bryce Harper mashes grand slam, continues dominance of helpless Braves pitcher
- Jayson Werth goes after home plate umpire CB Bucknor after horrendously blown call in ninth inning almost costs Nationals