Aug 26, 2015, 6:18 PM EDT
Updated at 11:30 p.m.
Amidst a season in which injuries have taken their toll on the Nationals’ roster, manager Matt Williams revealed to reporters before Wednesday’s game against the Padres of perhaps the most bizarre setback a player has suffered all year.
Outfielder Reed Johnson, who had torn a ligament in his ankle in late April, was shut down from his rehab assignment recently after he was hit by an errant throw in his left side and later sneezed, which resulted in a fractured rib. If you think that sounds strange, you’re not alone.
“Strange happenings,” Williams said of the incident. “There’s been a lot of strange things. Unfortunately for him because he was just ready and made such an effort to get back here.”
Johnson was on pace to return to the Nats by September, but this latest injury casts doubt on whether he’ll be able to come back before the season ends.
As for Tyler Moore (sprained left ankle) and Dan Uggla (back), Williams said that the two are progressing well in their respective rehab stints and are closer to joining the big club. Barring an emergency need for either player, the team will wait for rosters to expand in September before bringing them up.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates