Aug 20, 2015, 5:20 PM EDT
Quick: Do you remember the last time the Nationals won three games in a row? It’s been awhile, July 11-17, when they won the final two games of the season’s first half at Camden Yards, then came back from the All-Star break to beat the Dodgers in the second-half opener.
Tonight, the Nats have a chance to do it again, with a sweep of the Rockies there for the taking at Coors Field. They’ll have Max Scherzer on the mound, hoping their ace can bounce back after his first real rough stretch of the season (6.00 ERA over his last five starts). Scherzer spoke after his last outing in San Francisco that he knew what mechanical fix would solve the problem; we’ll find out if he’s able to apply that tonight.
The lineup, meanwhile, looks the same as the last two nights, with one significant exception: Anthony Rendon is back in there, with Danny Espinosa taking a seat after starting the first two games of the series. This is going to be a delicate balancing act for Matt Williams, trying to keep Espinosa playing on a regular basis despite the presence of three other qualified starting infielders.
It’s the last game of a long road trip. Thankfully the Nats and yours truly will be back at the park tomorrow. In the meantime, enjoy tonight’s game and conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field, Denver
Gametime: 8:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 186/869
Weather: Clear, 80 degrees, Wind 7 mph RF to LF
LF Jayson Werth
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Bryce Harper
3B Yunel Escobar
SS Ian Desmond
1B Ryan Zimmerman
CF Michael Taylor
C Wilson Ramos
RHP Max Scherzer
CF Charlie Blackmon
SS Jose Reyes
RF Carlos Gonzalez
3B Nolan Arenado
1B Ben Paulsen
LF Matt McBride
2B Daniel Descalso
C Dustin Garneau
LHP Yohan Flande
HP Lance Barksdale
1B Quinn Wolcott
2B Gary Cederstrom (cc)
3B Jim Wolf
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Grace, Howie Kendrick lead Nationals past San Diego Padres
- Max Scherzer scratched from start against San Diego, heading to DL
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay
- Andrew Stevenson makes game saving catch to help Nationals beat Marlins