Aug 19, 2015, 5:20 PM EST
Nationals reliever David Carpenter has been assigned to Single-A Potomac to begin his minor league rehab assignment, the team announced on Wednesday.
Carpenter is coming back from right shoulder inflammation and has been on the disabled list since July 12. He joins outfielder Reed Johnson, who is also rehabbing with the P-Nats. Denard Span played for Potomac on Sunday, but has since moved on to the Hagerstown Suns.
Carpenter, 30, has a 1.50 ERA in eight appearances with the Nats this season. He began the year with the New York Yankees before going to Washington in a trade on June 11. In 30 total outings this season he has a 4.01 ERA.
Carpenter experienced a setback early in his rehab after beginning a throwing program. That caused him to seek a second and third opinion – one in Ohio and one in Delaware – and receive two MRIs. No structural damage was found and he resumed his throwing program in early August.
Carpenter is a five-year MLB veteran and holds a 3.66 ERA in 218 career games.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Will Mike Rizzo continue to shape the Nationals? The Junkies believe he's too valuable to lose
- Nationals re-sign Howie Kendrick for two-years
- See hilarious highlights from Nats' Racing Presidents tryouts
- Bryce Harper enjoyed the story of Alex Luey and Ovechkin's hat trick for the young cancer survivor
- Max Scherzer Giving Away Memorabilia For Good Cause
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists