Aug 19, 2015, 5:20 PM EDT
Nationals reliever David Carpenter has been assigned to Single-A Potomac to begin his minor league rehab assignment, the team announced on Wednesday.
Carpenter is coming back from right shoulder inflammation and has been on the disabled list since July 12. He joins outfielder Reed Johnson, who is also rehabbing with the P-Nats. Denard Span played for Potomac on Sunday, but has since moved on to the Hagerstown Suns.
Carpenter, 30, has a 1.50 ERA in eight appearances with the Nats this season. He began the year with the New York Yankees before going to Washington in a trade on June 11. In 30 total outings this season he has a 4.01 ERA.
Carpenter experienced a setback early in his rehab after beginning a throwing program. That caused him to seek a second and third opinion – one in Ohio and one in Delaware – and receive two MRIs. No structural damage was found and he resumed his throwing program in early August.
Carpenter is a five-year MLB veteran and holds a 3.66 ERA in 218 career games.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper, Jayson Werth awesomely lead Nats' 'Game of Thrones' dress-up
- Bryce Harper reportedly will come off the disabled list tomorrow
- Nationals, without their big guns, fall to Mets
- Cubs, Brewers, or Cardinals: potential postseason opponents for the Washington Nationals
- Nationals baffled by Dickey's knuckleball in Braves' 3-2 win
- Ryan Zimmerman sets career high in homers vs. Braves
- Updated MLB Postseason 2017 Bracket Projection
- Nationals vs. Braves Preview: Gonzalez looks to rebound
- When will Bryce Harper return to the Nationals' lineup?
- Max Scherzer bounces back from last week's rough start against Atlanta