Aug 18, 2015, 5:12 PM EDT
It’s been just a bit of rough 48 hours for the Nationals, who since last playing Sunday in San Francisco have been excoriated throughout the baseball world for … well, you name it. Their sub-.500 record. Their struggling lineup. Their under-performing rotation. Their under-fire manager. Their roster-constructing GM.
Tonight in Denver, the Nats get back to work and have an opportunity to respond to all the criticism with a well-played ballgame and perhaps an end to their 6-game losing streak. They’ll attempt to do so with an entirely new-look lineup. Jayson Werth is leading off, with Matt Williams hoping for similar results to 2012, when Werth was coming off a similar wrist injury and wound up setting the table quite well in the top spot. Danny Espinosa is at second base and batting second. Yunel Escobar is hitting cleanup, with Ian Desmond fifth and Ryan Zimmerman sixth.
Jordan Zimmermann, meanwhile, takes the mound seeking his first win since July 11 despite his 3.68 ERA in six starts since.
I’m not in Colorado for this series, but I’ll have some remote analysis for you in the morning. Enjoy the game…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field, Denver
Gametime: 8:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 187/869
Weather: Partly cloudy, 68 degrees, Wind 12 mph RF to LF
LF Jayson Werth
2B Danny Espinosa
RF Bryce Harper
3B Yunel Escobar
SS Ian Desmond
1B Ryan Zimmerman
CF Michael Taylor
C Wilson Ramos
RHP Jordan Zimmermann
SS Jose Reyes
2B D.J. LeMahieu
RF Carlos Gonzalez
3B Nolan Arenado
1B Ben Paulsen
C Nick Hundley
LF Kyle Parker
CF Brandon Barnes
RHP David Hale
HP Gary Cederstrom (cc)
1B Jim Wolf
2B Lance Barksdale
3B Quinn Wolcott
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' Joe Ross to start against team that drafted him
- Stephen Strasburg has career-high 15 strikeouts in Nationals win over Padres
- Nationals players visit local little league baseball teams
- Bryce Harper launches mammoth home run into third deck at National Park
- Max Scherzer absolutely dominates Padres, piles up 13 strikeouts
- Anthony Rendon homers in third straight game, but Nationals fall to Mariners in series finale
- Nats beat Mariners behind Joe Ross' career day in return from minors
- WATCH: Werth and Harper go back-to-back, Rendon hits 2 HRs in Nats win
- Nationals beat Braves, snap losing skid behind Stephen Strasburg's strong start
- 2017 MLB Power Rankings: As Bryce Harper goes, so do the Nationals