Aug 18, 2015, 5:12 PM EDT
It’s been just a bit of rough 48 hours for the Nationals, who since last playing Sunday in San Francisco have been excoriated throughout the baseball world for … well, you name it. Their sub-.500 record. Their struggling lineup. Their under-performing rotation. Their under-fire manager. Their roster-constructing GM.
Tonight in Denver, the Nats get back to work and have an opportunity to respond to all the criticism with a well-played ballgame and perhaps an end to their 6-game losing streak. They’ll attempt to do so with an entirely new-look lineup. Jayson Werth is leading off, with Matt Williams hoping for similar results to 2012, when Werth was coming off a similar wrist injury and wound up setting the table quite well in the top spot. Danny Espinosa is at second base and batting second. Yunel Escobar is hitting cleanup, with Ian Desmond fifth and Ryan Zimmerman sixth.
Jordan Zimmermann, meanwhile, takes the mound seeking his first win since July 11 despite his 3.68 ERA in six starts since.
I’m not in Colorado for this series, but I’ll have some remote analysis for you in the morning. Enjoy the game…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field, Denver
Gametime: 8:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 187/869
Weather: Partly cloudy, 68 degrees, Wind 12 mph RF to LF
LF Jayson Werth
2B Danny Espinosa
RF Bryce Harper
3B Yunel Escobar
SS Ian Desmond
1B Ryan Zimmerman
CF Michael Taylor
C Wilson Ramos
RHP Jordan Zimmermann
SS Jose Reyes
2B D.J. LeMahieu
RF Carlos Gonzalez
3B Nolan Arenado
1B Ben Paulsen
C Nick Hundley
LF Kyle Parker
CF Brandon Barnes
RHP David Hale
HP Gary Cederstrom (cc)
1B Jim Wolf
2B Lance Barksdale
3B Quinn Wolcott
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Did Max Scherzer's dance moves cause the Junkies' broadcast to lose power?
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine