Aug 16, 2015, 1:12 AM EDT
The Nationals were already down big against the Giants on Saturday when their night got even worse. All-Star Bryce Harper left in the seventh inning after fouling a ball off his left foot. Matt Williams told reporters after the game that X-rays were negative.
Harper was at the plate facing Giants reliever George Kontos when he fouled a 86 mile per hour slider off his leg. The Nats’ right fielder fell to his knees immediately and was tended to by Williams and trainer Steve Gober.
Harper was able to get up and finish the at-bat. He flew out center field two pitches later, but hobbled and limped as he ran to first base.
Harper then headed straight to the clubhouse, taking his batting gloves off and throwing them as he exited down through the tunnel. Tyler Moore replaced him in the bottom of the seventh.
Harper sat out the Nationals’ game against the Dodgers on Aug. 11 with a sore left knee. The injury he suffered on Saturday night was on the same leg, but did not appear to involve the knee.
Harper is one of the leading candidates for NL MVP this season. Through 109 games he his batting .332 with 30 homers, 73 RBI and a 1.100 OPS.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates