Aug 16, 2015, 1:12 AM EDT
The Nationals were already down big against the Giants on Saturday when their night got even worse. All-Star Bryce Harper left in the seventh inning after fouling a ball off his left foot. Matt Williams told reporters after the game that X-rays were negative.
Harper was at the plate facing Giants reliever George Kontos when he fouled a 86 mile per hour slider off his leg. The Nats’ right fielder fell to his knees immediately and was tended to by Williams and trainer Steve Gober.
Harper was able to get up and finish the at-bat. He flew out center field two pitches later, but hobbled and limped as he ran to first base.
Harper then headed straight to the clubhouse, taking his batting gloves off and throwing them as he exited down through the tunnel. Tyler Moore replaced him in the bottom of the seventh.
Harper sat out the Nationals’ game against the Dodgers on Aug. 11 with a sore left knee. The injury he suffered on Saturday night was on the same leg, but did not appear to involve the knee.
Harper is one of the leading candidates for NL MVP this season. Through 109 games he his batting .332 with 30 homers, 73 RBI and a 1.100 OPS.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Grace, Howie Kendrick lead Nationals past San Diego Padres
- Max Scherzer scratched from start against San Diego, heading to DL
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay
- Andrew Stevenson makes game saving catch to help Nationals beat Marlins