Aug 16, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
The Nationals enter Sunday staring down the barrel of a potential four-game sweep at the San Francisco Giants. And in order make sure that doesn’t happen, they will have to outduel one of the best pitchers in baseball in Madison Bumgarner.
Bumgarner is 13-6 with a 3.15 ERA this season, but the Nats have somehow beaten him each of the last five times they have faced them. That includes a 9-3 victory on the Fourth of July where Bumgarner gave up six runs in five innings of work, including two homers. They also beat him at AT&T Park in the playoffs last year in Game 3 of the NLDS. That was the only loss for Mad Bum in what became a historic postseason performance overall.
Rookie Joe Ross (3-4, 3.44) will get the nod for the Nationals in his ninth career MLB start. He has been a revelation for the Nats this season, but is coming off his worst start so far. He gave up five earned runs in just 4 2/3 innings on Aug. 11 against the Dodgers. It will be interesting to see how the young right-hander responds to that outing.
Fortunately for the Nationals, Bryce Harper is back in the lineup after leaving Saturday night’s game with a left leg injury. He fouled a pitch off the top of his left foot, but X-rays were negative, according to MLB.com.
Enjoy the game and please check back in the morning for analysis…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
Where: AT&T Park, San Francisco
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN 2, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 188/869
Weather: Partly cloudy, 80 degrees, Wind 13 mph out to RF
CF Michael Taylor
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Bryce Harper
3B Yunel Escobar
1B Ryan Zimmerman
SS Ian Desmond
LF Jayson Werth
C Wilson Ramos
RHP Joe Ross
CF Gregor Blanco
3B Matt Duffy
1B Brandon Belt
C Buster Posey
RF Hunter Pence
SS Brandon Crawford
LF Justin Maxwell
2B Kelby Tomlinson
LHP Madison Bumgarner
HP Jeff Nelson (cc)
1B Laz Diaz
2B Chris Guccione
3B Cory Blaser
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper thanks Nationals fans for support during 2017 season
- 20 things D.C. sports fans should be really happy about, playoff success or not
- Nationals Game 5 meltdown yet another reminder why D.C. can't have nice things
- With contractual decisions looming, Nats missed chance at stress-free World Series run
- Nationals suffer postseason heartbreak yet again in lengthy, controversial Game 5 loss
- NLDS 2017: Nationals vs. Cubs Game 5 Live Blog
- Nationals place faith in Gio Gonzalez, name him Game 5 starter vs. Cubs
- D.C. Metro extends hours for Nationals vs. Cubs Game 5
- Nationals 2017 Postseason Game 5 NLDS vs. Cubs: Date, Time, TV Channel and How to Watch
- Strasburg spins gem, Taylor hits grand slam to force Game 5 vs. Cubs