Aug 13, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
Reed Johnson, out since late April with a torn tendon in his left foot, will begin a rehab assignment with Class A Potomac on Thursday night, putting the veteran outfielder on track potentially to join the Nationals’ roster for the season’s final month.
Johnson hasn’t played since April 28, when he felt something pop in his left foot as he legged out a double during the Nationals’ record-setting 13-12, come-from-behind victory in Atlanta. The 38-year-old had dealt with a calf injury in previous seasons; in this case, the tendon that connects the calf to the foot snapped.
Johnson had surgery May 2 to repair the tendon, declaring his goal of returning to the active roster for September. He had been ramping up baseball activities in the last two weeks and now is ready to begin playing in rehab games with Potomac.
A 13-year veteran of six different big-league clubs, Johnson was signed by the Nationals during the final week of spring training after he was released by the Marlins. He wound up appearing in 12 games in April, going 4-for-18 with the double and two RBI.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Stephen Strasburg returns to Nats lineup after DL stint
- 8 bold MLB predictions sure to be proven wrong
- Washington Nationals second half preview
- Nationals players were critical of Dave Martinez's decision-making in the first half
- Max Scherzer thoroughly enjoyed the All-Star experience in D.C.
- All-Star effort once again proves Washington, D.C. is, in fact, a sports city
- The best 2018 MLB All-Star Game red carpet looks
- A quick recap of Tuesday's MLB All-Star Game, including how your Nats did
- 2018 MLB All-Star Game Live Blog
- All-Star Game Weather: Storms causing traffic havoc, could force delay, postponement