Aug 13, 2015, 11:12 AM EST
Reed Johnson, out since late April with a torn tendon in his left foot, will begin a rehab assignment with Class A Potomac on Thursday night, putting the veteran outfielder on track potentially to join the Nationals’ roster for the season’s final month.
Johnson hasn’t played since April 28, when he felt something pop in his left foot as he legged out a double during the Nationals’ record-setting 13-12, come-from-behind victory in Atlanta. The 38-year-old had dealt with a calf injury in previous seasons; in this case, the tendon that connects the calf to the foot snapped.
Johnson had surgery May 2 to repair the tendon, declaring his goal of returning to the active roster for September. He had been ramping up baseball activities in the last two weeks and now is ready to begin playing in rehab games with Potomac.
A 13-year veteran of six different big-league clubs, Johnson was signed by the Nationals during the final week of spring training after he was released by the Marlins. He wound up appearing in 12 games in April, going 4-for-18 with the double and two RBI.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals re-sign Howie Kendrick for two-years
- See hilarious highlights from Nats' Racing Presidents tryouts
- Bryce Harper enjoyed the story of Alex Luey and Ovechkin's hat trick for the young cancer survivor
- Max Scherzer Giving Away Memorabilia For Good Cause
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists
- Matt Wieters will return to Nationals in 2018 with player-option