Aug 13, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg’s return from the DL five nights ago in D.C. went as well as anyone could have possibly hoped: seven innings of 1-run, 3-hit, 12-strikeout ball to beat the Rockies. Boy, could the Nationals use another start like that tonight in San Francisco from Strasburg. The Mets already trounced Colorado this afternoon to sweep their 4-game series, improve to 11-2 over the last two weeks and open up a 4-game lead in the NL East. The Nats have to win tonight just to keep pace.
It would also help if a lineup that was shut out the last two nights by Zack Greinke and Clayton Kershaw in Los Angeles can, you know, actually score some runs tonight against Ryan Vogelsong. The Nats have enjoyed plenty of success against the veteran right-hander over the years: he owns a 5.71 ERA in 10 career appearances against them. (We’ll choose to ignore a certain start vs. Washington last October, OK?)
It’ll be another late night out West, and I’ll be staying up with the rest of you to watch. Then I’ll post some analysis for your morning commute. Enjoy…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
Where: AT&T Park, San Francisco
Gametime: 10:15 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 185/869
Weather: Clear, 66 degrees, Wind 13 mph out to RF
3B Yunel Escobar
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Bryce Harper
1B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Jayson Werth
SS Ian Desmond
C Wilson Ramos
CF Michael Taylor
RHP Stephen Strasburg
CF Gregor Blanco
3B Matt Duffy
1B Brandon Belt
C Buster Posey
RF Hunter Pence
SS Brandon Crawford
LF Justin Maxwell
2B Kelby Tomlinson
RHP Ryan Vogelsong
HP Laz Diaz
1B Chris Guccione
2B Cory Blaser
3B Jeff Nelson (cc)
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2017 MLB Power Rankings: The Dodgers don't lose anymore
- Ten very good Pups in the Park who don't care that the Nats lost
- Nationals can't overcome Tanner Roark's first inning, lose to Reds
- Trea Turner has a career game as Nats clobber Reds
- Harper's 10th-inning single lifts Nationals past Reds 6-5
- Max Scherzer's bid for third no-hitter ends in heartbreak
- The Nats got hot Tuesday in Miami with 12-3 win over Marlins
- Tanner Roark unable to preserve six-run lead before Marlins walk off Nationals in ninth
- Jacob DeGrom denies Nationals sweep of Mets on Father's Day
- Nationals hit three homers to win third straight game against Mets