Aug 11, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
The Nationals have signed journeyman outfielder Tony Campana to a minor-league contract, taking a flyer on the speedy 28-year-old coming off reconstructive knee surgery.
The deal hasn’t been announced yet, but a club source confirmed the signing, first reported by CBSsports.com. The contract runs through the 2016 season.
Campana will report to the Nationals’ spring training complex in Viera, Fla., after spending the last month resuming baseball activities on his own following rehab for a torn ACL suffered in February before spring training with the White Sox.
A veteran of 257 big-league games with the Cubs, Diamondbacks and Angels, Campana is a career .249 hitter with a .296 on-base percentage and .288 slugging percentage. His specialty, though, is on the basepaths, where he owns 66 career stolen bases in 75 attempts.
That facet of his game makes Campana a potential addition to the Nationals’ roster in September and potentially in October as a pinch-running specialist.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals offense provides no support in Strasburg's return
- Matt Grace, Howie Kendrick lead Nationals past San Diego Padres
- Max Scherzer scratched from start against San Diego, heading to DL
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay