Aug 6, 2015, 3:47 PM EST
Max Scherzer loves fantasy football and this month will be able to apply that passion to a good cause. The Nationals’ ace is hosting a fantasy football fundraiser on August 22 at Nats Park. Scherzer will participate in a live fantasy draft with several of his teammates and fans who pay an undisclosed amount of money to play.
Scheduled to be there for the draft are Nationals players Bryce Harper, Stephen Strasburg, Ryan Zimmerman, Denard Span and Matt Thornton. Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright is also involved, but it’s not clear if he will attend.
“We get to accomplish two goals here,” Scherzer said. “Have some fun, play some fantasy football and raise some money for a good cause.”
“I know major league clubhouses are. Everyone is very into fantasy football and talks a lot of trash. I think that’s the number reason why we do it.”
Scherzer has participated in similar events in the past when he was with the Tigers. He hopes the same success can be had in Washington.
“I thought it was something I wanted to bring here to D.C. and have the fans have the same opportunities that some of the other cities have as well,” he said.
Back to the football itself. Scherzer said he will take Adrian Peterson with the No. 1 pick if he gets it and, like he said, talk trash when he can.
“We talk trash on the fans. That makes it great. They talk trash on us over picks and we talk trash on them. It’s a great experience,” he said.
The event is called ‘Big League Impact D.C.’ and it is affiliated with the Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy and the Nationals Dream Foundation.
“I really enjoy helping out the youth baseball academy. that’s something that any time you’re helping out the game of baseball with at risk children, that puts a smile on my face. The fact that we have a fantasy football vehicle to help that makes it even better because it allows us to help raise money for a great cause and do it in a unique and fun way,” Scherzer said.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper enjoyed the story of Alex Luey and Ovechkin's hat trick for the young cancer survivor
- Max Scherzer Giving Away Memorabilia For Good Cause
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists
- Matt Wieters will return to Nationals in 2018 with player-option
- Houston Astros shut out lights in Hollywood, bring home first World Series title
- Is Bryce Harper flirting with Chicago?