Aug 6, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
Max Scherzer loves fantasy football and this month will be able to apply that passion to a good cause. The Nationals’ ace is hosting a fantasy football fundraiser on August 22 at Nats Park. Scherzer will participate in a live fantasy draft with several of his teammates and fans who pay an undisclosed amount of money to play.
Scheduled to be there for the draft are Nationals players Bryce Harper, Stephen Strasburg, Ryan Zimmerman, Denard Span and Matt Thornton. Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright is also involved, but it’s not clear if he will attend.
“We get to accomplish two goals here,” Scherzer said. “Have some fun, play some fantasy football and raise some money for a good cause.”
“I know major league clubhouses are. Everyone is very into fantasy football and talks a lot of trash. I think that’s the number reason why we do it.”
Scherzer has participated in similar events in the past when he was with the Tigers. He hopes the same success can be had in Washington.
“I thought it was something I wanted to bring here to D.C. and have the fans have the same opportunities that some of the other cities have as well,” he said.
Back to the football itself. Scherzer said he will take Adrian Peterson with the No. 1 pick if he gets it and, like he said, talk trash when he can.
“We talk trash on the fans. That makes it great. They talk trash on us over picks and we talk trash on them. It’s a great experience,” he said.
The event is called ‘Big League Impact D.C.’ and it is affiliated with the Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy and the Nationals Dream Foundation.
“I really enjoy helping out the youth baseball academy. that’s something that any time you’re helping out the game of baseball with at risk children, that puts a smile on my face. The fact that we have a fantasy football vehicle to help that makes it even better because it allows us to help raise money for a great cause and do it in a unique and fun way,” Scherzer said.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' offense remains quiet in 2-0 loss to Toronto
- What to watch for in Major League Baseball this weekend
- MLB reveals 2018 All-Star Game uniforms taking place at Nationals Park
- Nats prospect update: Fedde hit hard in second start, but Soto continues to impress
- Mark Lerner takes control of Nationals from father Ted
- Juan Soto crushes two homers in Nats win over Yankees
- While you were watching the Caps win the Stanley Cup, here's what the Nats have been up to
- Mike Rizzo wants anonymous Bryce Harper critic to 'put your name on it'
- Harper is hit twice by pitches and Yankees top Nats
- Murphy activated off DL, to make season debut for Nats