Aug 1, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Friday night’s game was a thriller, but the Nationals found themselves on the wrong end of it, as the Mets took the series opener 2-1 in 12 innings on a walk-off home run. Now rookie Joe Ross (3-4, 3.03) will get his shot at the New York Mets opposite of reigning NL Rookie of the Year, Jacob deGrom (10-6, 2.05).
Ross and deGrom squared off on July 21 when the Mets beat the Nationals 7-2 in Washington. Ross gave up three runs (2 ER) in 6 1/3 innings of work. That was good, but not enough to match deGrom, who gave up two runs in six innings. Tanner Roark relieved Ross that day and allowed four runs in 1/3 innings to put the game out of reach.
This will be deGrom’s fourth start of the season against the Nats. He has allowed seven runs in 17 1/3 total innings in his three outings so far.
The Mets have their newest acquisition, Yoenis Cespedes, in the lineup and batting third. We’ll see what he has in store for his Mets debut.
Enjoy the game and please check back for analysis…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS
Where: Citi Field, New York
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB Network (outside D.C. and N.Y. markets), MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 869
Weather: Partly cloudy, 84 degrees, wind 10 mph out to CF
2B Anthony Rendon
3B Yunel Escobar
RF Bryce Harper
1B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Jayson Werth
SS Ian Desmond
C Wilson Ramos
CF Michael Taylor
RHP Joe Ross
RF Curtis Granderson
3B Daniel Murphy
LF Yoenis Cespedes
1B Lucas Duda
2B Wilmer Flores
RF Kelly Johnson
C Travis d’Arnuad
RHP Jacob deGrom
SS Ruben Tejada
HP Andy Fletcher
1B Jordan Baker
2B Paul Emmel
3B Jerry Meals (cc)
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Juan Soto crushes a homer in the first at-bat of his first-ever start
- Can slumping Nationals, Gio Gonzalez end losing streak Monday vs. Padres?
- Soto makes debut in Nationals loss to Dodgers
- Fantasy Baseball Outlook: Week 8
- Mike Rizzo makes bold move to call up Juan Soto
- Kendrick carted off with injury in Nats 4-1 loss to Dodgers
- Well-rested Nationals welcome the slumping Dodgers for a weekend series
- 2018 MLB Power Rankings: May update
- A "little conversation" with Mike Rizzo convinced Mark Reynolds to sign with the Nationals
- Nationals vs. Yankees: Everything you need to know about the biggest series of the year so far