Jul 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
Jayson Werth is ready to return from a 2 1/2-month stint on the disabled list and is expected to rejoin the Nationals on Tuesday for their series opener in Miami.
Werth, out since May 15 with two small fractures in his left wrist, wrapped up his rehab assignment with Class AAA Syracuse on Sunday and has been deemed ready to come off the DL, according to a source close to the veteran outfielder.
All told, Werth played nine games between Syracuse and Class A Potomac during his rehab assignment, going 11-for-30 with two doubles, seven RBI, two walks and two strikeouts.
The 36-year-old left fielder has been sorely missed the last 2 1/2 months by the Nationals, who have yet to field their entire projected starting lineup once this season and came out of the All-Star break with four key regulars on the DL: Werth, Anthony Rendon, Ryan Zimmerman and Denard Span.
Rendon returned from his strained left quadriceps muscle Saturday in Pittsburgh. Zimmerman has played five rehab games with Class AA Harrisburg, going 1-for-15 with three strikeouts, and is close to returning from plantar fasciitis in his left foot. Span, out the last 2 1/2 weeks, has yet to resume baseball activities after receiving treatment for recurring back spasms.
Werth, who missed the season’s first week while recovering from offseason surgery on his left shoulder, was hitting only .208 with two homers, 12 RBI and a .294 on-base percentage in 27 games when he suffered his wrist injury getting hit by a pitch in San Diego. But he had just begun to find his stroke prior to that, hitting .313 with two homers and a .910 OPS over his final nine games.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay
- Andrew Stevenson makes game saving catch to help Nationals beat Marlins
- All nickname jerseys for the Washington Nationals
- Ryan Zimmerman breaks franchise record against Marlins