Jul 27, 2015, 2:39 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg will begin a minor league rehab assignment on Wednesday with the Triple-A Syracuse Chiefs in what amounts to a significant step in his recovery from a strained left oblique.
The Nationals’ right-hander threw 51 pitches in a simulated game at PNC Park in Pittsburgh on Friday. He was placed on the disabled list on July 5 after being removed from the team’s July 4 game against the San Francisco Giants.
Strasburg has a 5.16 ERA through 13 starts this season. He has dealt with a variety of minor injuries dating back to spring training that have affected his left ankle, left trapezius muscle and left oblique. This is Strasburg’s second minor league rehab assignment of the season. He did not go through Syracuse the other time.
Strasburg last pitched for the Chiefs back in 2011 when he was working his way back from Tommy John surgery. He also made six starts for them in 2010 when he was a prospect prior to his MLB debut.
Syracuse will host the Buffalo Bisons on Wednesday.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper powers Nationals past Diamondbacks
- Nationals lose to Diamondbacks in dramatic fashion
- Nationals six-game winning streak comes to an end in Los Angeles
- Zimmerman sets franchise HR record, Nationals beat Reds 6-1
- Nationals new reliever Sean Doolittle grew up a Redskins fan
- Daniel Murphy homers twice in 14-4 rout of Reds
- Nationals aquire Doolittle from Athletics
- Bryce Harper homers twice, Nationals beat Reds 5-0
- Dallas fan Bryce Harper casually talks Cowboys with Joe Buck during All Star Game
- Bryce Harper goes "Miami Vice" at the All-star game red carpet