Jul 27, 2015, 2:39 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg will begin a minor league rehab assignment on Wednesday with the Triple-A Syracuse Chiefs in what amounts to a significant step in his recovery from a strained left oblique.
The Nationals’ right-hander threw 51 pitches in a simulated game at PNC Park in Pittsburgh on Friday. He was placed on the disabled list on July 5 after being removed from the team’s July 4 game against the San Francisco Giants.
Strasburg has a 5.16 ERA through 13 starts this season. He has dealt with a variety of minor injuries dating back to spring training that have affected his left ankle, left trapezius muscle and left oblique. This is Strasburg’s second minor league rehab assignment of the season. He did not go through Syracuse the other time.
Strasburg last pitched for the Chiefs back in 2011 when he was working his way back from Tommy John surgery. He also made six starts for them in 2010 when he was a prospect prior to his MLB debut.
Syracuse will host the Buffalo Bisons on Wednesday.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper thanks Nationals fans for support during 2017 season
- 20 things D.C. sports fans should be really happy about, playoff success or not
- Nationals Game 5 meltdown yet another reminder why D.C. can't have nice things
- With contractual decisions looming, Nats missed chance at stress-free World Series run
- Nationals suffer postseason heartbreak yet again in lengthy, controversial Game 5 loss
- NLDS 2017: Nationals vs. Cubs Game 5 Live Blog
- Nationals place faith in Gio Gonzalez, name him Game 5 starter vs. Cubs
- D.C. Metro extends hours for Nationals vs. Cubs Game 5
- Nationals 2017 Postseason Game 5 NLDS vs. Cubs: Date, Time, TV Channel and How to Watch
- Strasburg spins gem, Taylor hits grand slam to force Game 5 vs. Cubs