Jul 26, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
The Nationals enter Sunday with a chance to split their four-game series against the Pirates following their lopsided win the day before. They will send rookie Joe Ross (2-2, 2.70) to the mound opposite former No. 1 overall pick Gerrit Cole (13-4, 2.31), who is in the middle of a breakout season.
Ross has only made four career MLB starts, but this will be his second time facing the Pirates. He saw them in his last outing before going down to Triple-A on June 19. That day he allowed just one earned run across 7 1/3 innings with 11 strikeouts and one walk. He also began what ended up a franchise record scoreless streak for the Nats’ rotation.
Cole did not pitch in that June series at Nationals Park. The last time he saw the Nats was on May 24 of 2014 when he gave up two runs across six innings and took the win.
Anthony Rendon is out of the lineup today, likely to just have a day off to rest. Danny Espinosa is in there playing second base with Yunel Escobar still at third.
Enjoy the conversation today and please check back in the morning for analysis…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PITTSBURGH PIRATES
Where: PNC Park, Pittsburgh
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: Ch. 9, MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 869
Weather: Partly cloudy, 85 degrees, Wind 6 mph RF to LF
CF Michael Taylor
2B Danny Espinosa
RF Bryce Harper
3B Yunel Escobar
1B Clint Robinson
SS Ian Desmond
C Wilson Ramos
LF Matt den Dekker
RHP Joe Ross
RF Gregory Polanco
LF Starling Marte
CF Andrew McCutchen
3B Aramis Ramirez
SS Jung Ho Kang
2B Neil Walker
1B Pedro Alvarez
C Chris Stewart
RHP Gerrit Cole
HP Chris Conroy
1B Gabe Morales
2B Scott Barry
3B Ted Barrett (cc)
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper gets ejected before Nationals offense explodes in win over Brewers
- Logo for 2018 MLB All Star Game in D.C. revealed
- Nationals win 6-2 after Stephen Strasburg leaves in second inning
- Bryce Harper powers Nationals past Diamondbacks
- Nationals lose to Diamondbacks in dramatic fashion
- Nationals six-game winning streak comes to an end in Los Angeles
- Zimmerman sets franchise HR record, Nationals beat Reds 6-1
- Nationals new reliever Sean Doolittle grew up a Redskins fan
- Daniel Murphy homers twice in 14-4 rout of Reds
- Nationals aquire Doolittle from Athletics