Jul 26, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
The Nationals enter Sunday with a chance to split their four-game series against the Pirates following their lopsided win the day before. They will send rookie Joe Ross (2-2, 2.70) to the mound opposite former No. 1 overall pick Gerrit Cole (13-4, 2.31), who is in the middle of a breakout season.
Ross has only made four career MLB starts, but this will be his second time facing the Pirates. He saw them in his last outing before going down to Triple-A on June 19. That day he allowed just one earned run across 7 1/3 innings with 11 strikeouts and one walk. He also began what ended up a franchise record scoreless streak for the Nats’ rotation.
Cole did not pitch in that June series at Nationals Park. The last time he saw the Nats was on May 24 of 2014 when he gave up two runs across six innings and took the win.
Anthony Rendon is out of the lineup today, likely to just have a day off to rest. Danny Espinosa is in there playing second base with Yunel Escobar still at third.
Enjoy the conversation today and please check back in the morning for analysis…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PITTSBURGH PIRATES
Where: PNC Park, Pittsburgh
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: Ch. 9, MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 869
Weather: Partly cloudy, 85 degrees, Wind 6 mph RF to LF
CF Michael Taylor
2B Danny Espinosa
RF Bryce Harper
3B Yunel Escobar
1B Clint Robinson
SS Ian Desmond
C Wilson Ramos
LF Matt den Dekker
RHP Joe Ross
RF Gregory Polanco
LF Starling Marte
CF Andrew McCutchen
3B Aramis Ramirez
SS Jung Ho Kang
2B Neil Walker
1B Pedro Alvarez
C Chris Stewart
RHP Gerrit Cole
HP Chris Conroy
1B Gabe Morales
2B Scott Barry
3B Ted Barrett (cc)
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Stephen Strasburg returns to Nats lineup after DL stint
- 8 bold MLB predictions sure to be proven wrong
- Washington Nationals second half preview
- Nationals players were critical of Dave Martinez's decision-making in the first half
- Max Scherzer thoroughly enjoyed the All-Star experience in D.C.
- All-Star effort once again proves Washington, D.C. is, in fact, a sports city
- The best 2018 MLB All-Star Game red carpet looks
- A quick recap of Tuesday's MLB All-Star Game, including how your Nats did
- 2018 MLB All-Star Game Live Blog
- All-Star Game Weather: Storms causing traffic havoc, could force delay, postponement