Jul 25, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
The Nationals have promoted top prospect Lucas Giolito to Class AA Harrisburg, deeming the 21-year-old right-hander ready to start pitching at the upper levels of their farm system.
Giolito, recently named the No. 1 prospect in baseball by MLB.com, went 3-5 with a 2.71 ERA in 13 games (11 starts) for Class A Potomac over the season’s first half, striking out 86 batters in 69 2/3 innings.
He also earned the starting assignment for the All-Star Futures Game two weeks ago in Cincinnati, tossing two scoreless innings for Team USA.
The Nationals’ first-round pick in the 2012 draft (16th overall), Giolito was selected despite knowledge of a potentially serious elbow injury. He had Tommy John surgery later that summer to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament and missed most of 2013 but has come back since healthy and dominant.
In 45 total minor-league games (43 starts), Giolito is 15-8 with a 2.38 ERA, striking out 236 batters over 206 1/3 innings.
Though the Nationals are being somewhat aggressive in promoting Giolito to Class AA at this stage of his professional career, they’re still monitoring his workload closely. As they do with every young pitcher in the organization, even more so those who had major arm surgeries, the Nationals are limiting Giolito’s innings count.
After totaling 98 innings last season at low-Class A Hagerstown, he is expected to be held to roughly 120-to-130 innings this season, then be held to roughly 150-to-160 innings next season, even if he reaches the majors.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Did Max Scherzer's dance moves cause the Junkies' broadcast to lose power?
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine