Jul 25, 2015, 4:20 PM EST
For weeks, we’ve been talking about members of the Nationals lineup who are unavailable to play. Tonight, we’re finally able to talk about a couple who are available to play, and who will play.
Yes, Anthony Rendon is off the DL, having missed the last month with a strained left quadriceps muscle; he’s batting second and playing second base. And Yunel Escobar is back in the lineup after missing 2-plus games with a sore left wrist; he’s batting fourth and playing third base. No Jayson Werth, Ryan Zimmerman or Denard Span yet, but Werth and Zimmerman appear to be only a matter of days away, with Span progressing as well.
The extra boost to the lineup will be welcome tonight, with A.J. Burnett on the mound for the Pirates. The veteran right-hander is enjoying a fantastic season in his swan song (8-3, 2.44 ERA, 102 strikeouts) though he is facing a Nats club that rapped out 14 hits against him last month in D.C. Gio Gonzalez takes the mound for the Nationals, on a nice 3-0, 1.38 ERA run of four starts himself that happened to begin against the Pirates.
Enjoy the game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PITTSBURGH PIRATES
Where: PNC Park, Pittsburgh
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 85
Weather: Partly cloudy, 85 degrees, Wind 6 mph RF to LF
CF Michael Taylor
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Bryce Harper
3B Yunel Escobar
1B Clint Robinson
SS Ian Desmond
C Jose Lobaton
LF Matt den Dekker
LHP Gio Gonzalez
RF Gregory Polanco
LF Starling Marte
CF Andrew McCutchen
3B Aramis Ramirez
SS Jung Ho Kang
C Francisco Cervelli
2B Neil Walker
1B Sean Rodriguez
RHP A.J. Burnett
HP Ted Barrett (cc)
1B Chris Conroy
2B Gabe Morales
3B Scott Barry
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists
- Matt Wieters will return to Nationals in 2018 with player-option
- Houston Astros shut out lights in Hollywood, bring home first World Series title
- Is Bryce Harper flirting with Chicago?
- Whoa. Dusty Baker not returning as Nationals' manager. What comes next?
- Nationals second baseman Daniel Murphy undergoes successful knee surgery