Jul 24, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
The last time he faced the Pirates, Max Scherzer … well, you know what he did. (And what he came oh-so-close to doing beyond that.) So what does Scherzer have in store for tonight’s rematch in Pittsburgh?
On paper, this looks like quite an advantageous matchup for the Nationals, who are getting the Pirates’ Big Three (Francisco Liriano, A.J. Burnett, Gerrit Cole) the rest of the series but tonight get Jeff Locke. Don’t get too comfortable, though. Between tonight’s two pitchers, guess who has the better ERA over his last seven starts? Wrong. It’s actually Locke, whose 1.96 ERA bests Scherzer’s still-fantastic 2.01 ERA over the same span.
And the Nats, remember, still are fielding a lineup ravaged by injuries. That includes Yunel Escobar, out again tonight with his left wrist injury. So it’s Danny Espinosa again at third base, with Dan Uggla at second base.
Should be a good one tonight. Enjoy the conversation as always…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PITTSBURGH PIRATES
Where: PNC Park, Pittsburgh
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB Network (outside D.C. market), MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 89/869
Weather: Partly cloudy, 81 degrees, Wind 6 mph out to CF
CF Michael Taylor
3B Danny Espinosa
RF Bryce Harper
C Wilson Ramos
1B Clint Robinson
SS Ian Desmond
LF Tyler Moore
2B Dan Uggla
RHP Max Scherzer
RF Gregory Polanco
2B Neil Walker
CF Andrew McCutchen
LF Starling Marte
3B Jung Ho Kang
1B Pedro Alvarez
C Francisco Cervelli
SS Pedro Florimon
LHP Jeff Locke
HP Scott Barry
1B Ted Barrett (cc)
2B Chris Conroy
3B Gabe Morales
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats put Scherzer-Strasburg scuffle aside to split Braves series
- Nationals trade Brian Goodwin to Kansas City Royals
- What to make of the Strasburg-Scherzer shouting match in the Nationals' dugout
- Saturday's Nationals game rained out, to be postponed
- Strasburg, Scherzer get in heated conversation after ugly inning
- Stephen Strasburg returns to Nats lineup after DL stint
- 8 bold MLB predictions sure to be proven wrong
- Washington Nationals second half preview
- Nationals players were critical of Dave Martinez's decision-making in the first half
- Max Scherzer thoroughly enjoyed the All-Star experience in D.C.