Jul 24, 2015, 4:05 PM EST
The last time he faced the Pirates, Max Scherzer … well, you know what he did. (And what he came oh-so-close to doing beyond that.) So what does Scherzer have in store for tonight’s rematch in Pittsburgh?
On paper, this looks like quite an advantageous matchup for the Nationals, who are getting the Pirates’ Big Three (Francisco Liriano, A.J. Burnett, Gerrit Cole) the rest of the series but tonight get Jeff Locke. Don’t get too comfortable, though. Between tonight’s two pitchers, guess who has the better ERA over his last seven starts? Wrong. It’s actually Locke, whose 1.96 ERA bests Scherzer’s still-fantastic 2.01 ERA over the same span.
And the Nats, remember, still are fielding a lineup ravaged by injuries. That includes Yunel Escobar, out again tonight with his left wrist injury. So it’s Danny Espinosa again at third base, with Dan Uggla at second base.
Should be a good one tonight. Enjoy the conversation as always…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PITTSBURGH PIRATES
Where: PNC Park, Pittsburgh
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB Network (outside D.C. market), MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 89/869
Weather: Partly cloudy, 81 degrees, Wind 6 mph out to CF
CF Michael Taylor
3B Danny Espinosa
RF Bryce Harper
C Wilson Ramos
1B Clint Robinson
SS Ian Desmond
LF Tyler Moore
2B Dan Uggla
RHP Max Scherzer
RF Gregory Polanco
2B Neil Walker
CF Andrew McCutchen
LF Starling Marte
3B Jung Ho Kang
1B Pedro Alvarez
C Francisco Cervelli
SS Pedro Florimon
LHP Jeff Locke
HP Scott Barry
1B Ted Barrett (cc)
2B Chris Conroy
3B Gabe Morales
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Max Scherzer Giving Away Memorabilia For Good Cause
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists
- Matt Wieters will return to Nationals in 2018 with player-option
- Houston Astros shut out lights in Hollywood, bring home first World Series title
- Is Bryce Harper flirting with Chicago?
- Whoa. Dusty Baker not returning as Nationals' manager. What comes next?