Jul 23, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
They made it through a homestand that included games against Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Matt Harvey, Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard and emerged with a 3-3 record. Now the Nationals embark on a tough, 10-game road trip that will feature plenty more tough opposition on the mound, beginning tonight at PNC Park in Pittsburgh.
It’s Francisco Liriano on the mound for the series opener. The lefty sports a 2.98 ERA, 1.029 WHIP and 125 strikeouts in 114 2/3 innings this season, but the Nats did rough him up for five runs last month in D.C. Doug Fister starts this game for the Nationals, looking to find some consistency in his mechanics and location after some up-and-down outings over the last few weeks.
Yunel Escobar is not in the lineup tonight. That’s not surprising, given how he departed yesterday’s game with an injured left hand/wrist. But as of this moment, the Nationals haven’t many any DL moves, so Escobar remains on the active roster, which includes only three healthy bench players tonight: Emmanuel Burriss, Matt den Dekker and Jose Lobaton.
I’m not in Pittsburgh for this weekend’s series, but please keep the conversation going here as always…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PITTSBURGH PIRATES
Where: PNC Park, Pittsburgh
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 183/869
Weather: Clear, 79 degrees, Wind 4 mph out to CF
CF Michael Taylor
3B Danny Espinosa
RF Bryce Harper
C Wilson Ramos
LF Clint Robinson
SS Ian Desmond
2B Dan Uggla
1B Tyler Moore
RHP Doug Fister
RF Gregory Polanco
2B Neil Walker
CF Andrew McCutchen
LF Starling Marte
SS Jung Ho Kang
1B Pedro Alvarez
C Francisco Cervelli
3B Brent Morel
LHP Francisco Liriano
HP Gabe Morales
1B Scott Barry
2B Ted Barrett
3B Chris Conroy
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trea Turner has a career game as Nats clobber Reds
- Harper's 10th-inning single lifts Nationals past Reds 6-5
- Max Scherzer's bid for third no-hitter ends in heartbreak
- The Nats got hot Tuesday in Miami with 12-3 win over Marlins
- Tanner Roark unable to preserve six-run lead before Marlins walk off Nationals in ninth
- Jacob DeGrom denies Nationals sweep of Mets on Father's Day
- Nationals hit three homers to win third straight game against Mets
- Nationals look to win series against Mets behind Stephen Strasburg
- Scherzer strikes out 10, leads Nationals over Mets 7-2
- Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Murphy dominated in Nationals' 8-3 win over the Mets