Jul 21, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
[Updated 5:49 p.m.]
The Nationals called up rookie right-hander Joe Ross to start against the New York Mets on Tuesday night and sent infielder Wilmer Difo down to Double-A Harrisburg as the corresponding move.
Ross, 22, joins the Nationals for the second time this season. He made his MLB debut on June 6 against the Chicago Cubs and is 2-1 with a 2.66 ERA in three big league starts.
Since leaving the Nats, Ross thrived at Triple-A Syracuse with a 3-1 record and 2.19 ERA in five appearances. He was also excellent at Double-A Harrisburg before getting his first call-up, holding a 2.81 ERA across eight starts.
“The reports [from Syracuse] were good. Focused, pounded the strike zone like he did when he was here,” Williams said. “Limited innings. The concern for Joe anyway is last year he was 120 innings. Starting the whole season, that inning-count can get up there pretty quickly. They were limiting his amount of innings down there from time to time. He pitched well. I know he’s eager to get back and get it going here.”
Ross will pitch against the Mets on Tuesday night opposite Jacob deGrom, the reigning NL Rookie of the Year. Williams said the plan is to keep Ross in the rotation pitching every fifth day until Stephen Strasburg returns from the disabled list.
Difo, 23, is 1-for-8 (.125) in the majors this season after making his debut on May 19. The versatile switch-hitter is batting .296 with three homers, 32 RBI and 14 steals in 63 minor league games this season spread across Single- and Double-A.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates