Jul 20, 2015, 1:09 AM EDT
The Nationals plan to call up reliever Abel de los Santos from Class AA Harrisburg on Monday, according to a source with knowledge of the transaction, adding the hard-throwing right-hander to their bullpen.
It’s not known yet who de los Santos will replace, but the Nationals will have to clear a spot on their 40-man roster before they can officially purchase the reliever’s contract and bring him to the major leagues.
De Los Santos, 22, has impressed in his first season in the Nationals organization, posting a 2.65 ERA in 26 appearances with Harrisburg, striking out 35 batters while walking only seven.
The Dominican native was acquired from the Rangers in December, along with infielder Chris Bostick, for left-hander Ross Detwiler, who just last week was released by Texas after refusing a minor-league assignment. Originally a starter at the lower levels of the Rangers’ system, de los Santos was converted to a reliever in 2013 and saw his career take off.
“Since he’s gone to the bullpen, his velocity and stuff has spiked, and he had a terrific year last year,” Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said after making the trade. “We feel he’s the guy that could come relatively quickly.”
De Los Santos will become the 24th different pitcher used by the Nationals this season, the seventh to make his big-league debut.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates