Jul 18, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Anthony Rendon will begin a minor league rehab assignment with the Single-A Potomac Nationals on Saturday night, Matt Williams revealed before the team’s quasi-doubleheader against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Rendon will play third base as he recovers from a strained left quadriceps muscle. The P-Nats host the Myrtle Beach Pelicans at 6:35 p.m. in Woodbridge, Va.
“Rendon right now is playing third. It’s the easiest position for him to play as he gets going,” Williams explained. “He doesn’t have to go as far, he’s a step and a dive either way. The movement is more limited at third base, so the initial thought is to get him out there and get him some reps at third and get him some game situations and then we’ll act accordingly after that.”
Rendon is expected to bat second and will likely be followed in the lineup by Jayson Werth, who is working his way back from a broken left wrist.
Werth was the designated hitter for Potomac on Friday night after playing in left field on Thursday night. Williams expects Werth to be back in the field on Saturday.
“He’s looking to play the field today. He DH’d last night, three at-bats. He came out of it fine. He’s actually here after. I spoke to him. He’s planning on going again today depending on how the body feels. We’ll go from there. As they have it right now, I believe that they’re both hitting two-three in their lineup today,” he said.
Rendon has been on the disabled list since June 25 and has appeared in just 18 games this season. Werth has been on the DL since May 16 and is hitting .208 with two homers and 12 RBI in 27 games.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2018 MLB Home Run Derby: Bracket, time, odds and how to watch
- Murphy's big hit helps Nats beat Mets 6-1
- MLB All-Star FanFest: Searching for a jersey from every team
- Nats fall below .500 again with Saturday's loss to Mets
- Davey Martinez meets with Bryce Harper after he jogs to first
- Nationals get first look at starting pitcher Austin Voth
- 2018 Celebrity Softball Game: Full list of participants and details on how to watch
- Tanner Roark becomes first 12-game loser in majors as Nats fall to Mets
- This year's National League All-Star team is serving seriously good dog content. But who are the best boys?
- Nationals to play Mets in Syndergaard's return from DL