Jul 16, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Tim and I did something different this week for ‘Baseball in the District,’ where we brought Reds’ Triple-A catching prospect Chris Berset in studio to talk about life in the minor leagues. He grew up in Vienna, Va. and played high school baseball at The Heights School (Potomac, Md.) before starring at the University of Michigan. The Reds drafted Berset in 2010 and he has since played six years in their farm system.
Berset sat down with us to discuss many subjects both on and off the field. As a catcher, he told us the ins and outs of calling games, pitch framing and working with wild pitchers. He also talked about his worst injuries and the best pitchers he’s ever faced and caught.
In terms of off-the-field stuff, we talked about traveling, host families, offseasons and call-ups. He had great insight on what is no question a unique lifestyle. We hope you enjoy the conversation.
Before bringing Berset in, Tim and I recapped the All-Star Game and Home Run Derby and looked ahead to the second half.
You can listen to the show on ESPN 980’s website or download it on iTunes.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay
- Andrew Stevenson makes game saving catch to help Nationals beat Marlins
- All nickname jerseys for the Washington Nationals
- Ryan Zimmerman breaks franchise record against Marlins