Jul 8, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Another day, another depleted lineup card filled out by Matt Williams. Denard Span and Yunel Escobar once again are not playing due to injuries, and as of this posting, the Nationals have announced no roster moves. Which means they’ll be playing with an extremely short bench again for tonight’s series finale against the Reds. How important is Span to this team? Well, when he plays, the Nats are 35-24. When he doesn’t, they’re 11-14. That suggests he’s pretty darn important.
As for that lineup, it’s the same as last night, with one exception: Jose Lobaton is behind the plate, catching Gio Gonzalez for the eighth time in the lefty’s last nine starts (counting the rain-shortened game in Philly). Lobaton winds up hitting fifth tonight; it’s only the fourth time he’s done that in his career, the first time since 2012 with Tampa Bay.
Gonzalez, meanwhile, will be trying to keep the Nationals from getting swept by the Reds this season. Entering tonight, they’re 0-5 against Cincinnati, a fairly baffling stat.
Updates to come…
CINCINNATI REDS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 185
Weather: Chance of rain, 83 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to CF
CF Michael Taylor
3B Danny Espinosa
RF Bryce Harper
1B Clint Robinson
C Jose Lobaton
SS Ian Desmond
2B Dan Uggla
LF Matt den Dekker
LHP Gio Gonzalez
2B Brandon Phillips
1B Joey Votto
3B Todd Frazier
RF Jay Bruce
LF Marlon Byrd
SS Eugenio Suarez
C Tucker Barnhart
RHP Michael Lorenzen
CF Billy Hamilton
HP Larry Vanover (cc)
1B Ron Kulpa
2B Vic Carapazza
3B Brian Knight
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay
- Andrew Stevenson makes game saving catch to help Nationals beat Marlins
- All nickname jerseys for the Washington Nationals
- Ryan Zimmerman breaks franchise record against Marlins