Jul 6, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
What an eventful weekend it turned out to be for the Nationals. (Then again, it feels like every week this season has been eventful for this team, for both positive and negative reasons.)
The good news this weekend: The Nats swept the Giants, got more dominant pitching performances from Gio Gonzalez and Jordan Zimmermann, got more contributions from reserves pressed into more playing time (Clint Robinson, Tyler Moore, Tanner Roark) and wrapped it all up with a season-high, 4 1/2-game lead in the NL East.
The bad news this weekend: Stephen Strasburg landed on the disabled list again, this time with a left oblique strain that occurred just as the right-hander was beginning to look like his old, dominant self again.
So, we had plenty to discuss on The Baseball Show last night on CSN. Below are several clips from the show, beginning with a segment on the contributions the Nationals have been getting from guys not named Bryce Harper, with an emphasis on Robinson’s recent production. After that is a discussion of Strasburg and how the club might proceed while he’s out. And then we wrap up with our weekly Over/Under contest, this one looking ahead to next weekend’s Battle of the Beltways at Camden Yards. Joe Orsulak, Sebastian Salazar and I make our predictions for the series.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- The best 2018 MLB All-Star Game red carpet looks
- A quick recap of Tuesday's MLB All-Star Game, including how your Nats did
- 2018 MLB All-Star Game Live Blog
- All-Star Game Weather: Storms causing traffic havoc, could force delay, postponement
- D.C. athletes are out in full force celebrating All-Star Week
- 2018 MLB All-Star Game: How to watch, starting lineups, full rosters
- John Wall knows the decision between loyalty and money is a tough one for Bryce Harper
- Cal Ripken Jr. finds nothing wrong with Bryce Harper's swing
- How to effectively spend money at the Fan Shop at the MLB All-Star FanFest
- Bryce Harper's 2018 Home Run Derby win by the numbers