Jul 3, 2015, 2:35 PM EST
The last time the Nationals hosted the Giants … well, I guess the less said the better. You all know what happened. It’s a new season, though, and this weekend the Nats have an opportunity to keep their hot streak going against the defending champs.
Gio Gonzalez gets the start in tonight’s series opener (note the earlier start time of 6:05 p.m., giving everyone a chance to go to sleep a bit earlier in advance of the annual 11:05 a.m. July 4th game). The lefty can only hope he gets to throw more than 18 pitches this time after Saturday’s rain fiasco in Philadelphia. Veteran right-hander Jake Peavy is on the mound for San Francisco for only his third start of the season, having been on the DL since mid-April with a back injury.
I’m attending a family wedding this weekend, so unfortunately I won’t be covering the series. And Chase is on vacation. But never fear, because CSNbaltimore.com’s Rich Dubroff has graciously offered to step in and handle all the weekend duties from Nationals Park. I’ll still post the game threads here each day, but please be sure to read Rich’s full articles on CSNwashington.com. Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe holiday weekend, filled with baseball, fireworks, family and friends!
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 6:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, ESPN, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 85
Weather: Cloudy, 79 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LF
CF Denard Span
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Yunel Escobar
RF Bryce Harper
1B Clint Robinson
SS Ian Desmond
C Jose Lobaton
LF Michael Taylor
LHP Gio Gonzalez
CF Angel Pagan
2B Joe Panik
3B Matt Duffy
1B Buster Posey
C Andrew Susac
SS Brandon Crawford
RF Justin Maxwell
LF Gregor Blanco
RHP Jake Peavy
HP John Hirschbeck
1B Will Little
2B Phil Cuzzi
3B Gerry Davis
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Will Mike Rizzo continue to shape the Nationals? The Junkies believe he's too valuable to lose
- Nationals re-sign Howie Kendrick for two-years
- See hilarious highlights from Nats' Racing Presidents tryouts
- Bryce Harper enjoyed the story of Alex Luey and Ovechkin's hat trick for the young cancer survivor
- Max Scherzer Giving Away Memorabilia For Good Cause
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists