Jul 3, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
The last time the Nationals hosted the Giants … well, I guess the less said the better. You all know what happened. It’s a new season, though, and this weekend the Nats have an opportunity to keep their hot streak going against the defending champs.
Gio Gonzalez gets the start in tonight’s series opener (note the earlier start time of 6:05 p.m., giving everyone a chance to go to sleep a bit earlier in advance of the annual 11:05 a.m. July 4th game). The lefty can only hope he gets to throw more than 18 pitches this time after Saturday’s rain fiasco in Philadelphia. Veteran right-hander Jake Peavy is on the mound for San Francisco for only his third start of the season, having been on the DL since mid-April with a back injury.
I’m attending a family wedding this weekend, so unfortunately I won’t be covering the series. And Chase is on vacation. But never fear, because CSNbaltimore.com’s Rich Dubroff has graciously offered to step in and handle all the weekend duties from Nationals Park. I’ll still post the game threads here each day, but please be sure to read Rich’s full articles on CSNwashington.com. Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe holiday weekend, filled with baseball, fireworks, family and friends!
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 6:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, ESPN, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 85
Weather: Cloudy, 79 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LF
CF Denard Span
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Yunel Escobar
RF Bryce Harper
1B Clint Robinson
SS Ian Desmond
C Jose Lobaton
LF Michael Taylor
LHP Gio Gonzalez
CF Angel Pagan
2B Joe Panik
3B Matt Duffy
1B Buster Posey
C Andrew Susac
SS Brandon Crawford
RF Justin Maxwell
LF Gregor Blanco
RHP Jake Peavy
HP John Hirschbeck
1B Will Little
2B Phil Cuzzi
3B Gerry Davis
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Grace, Howie Kendrick lead Nationals past San Diego Padres
- Max Scherzer scratched from start against San Diego, heading to DL
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay
- Andrew Stevenson makes game saving catch to help Nationals beat Marlins