Jul 2, 2015, 3:44 PM EST
Not since Stephen Strasburg’s rookie season has the baseball world been captivated to watch every pitch of one man’s starts. That’s where we are right now with Max Scherzer, whose every appearance on the mound is a major event.
And deservedly so, considering the man has carried a perfect game into the sixth inning in each of his last three starts. The stars were aligned well for Scherzer last Friday in Philadelphia, and they’re aligned well again tonight in Atlanta, where the Braves are fielding a struggling lineup and missing their best hitter (Freddie Freeman). That doesn’t guarantee anything, of course, but it does make Scherzer must-see-TV yet again.
A Nationals lineup with Ian Desmond on the bench goes up against left-hander Manny Banuelos, making his MLB debut for the Braves. Banuelos, 24, was once among the Yankees’ top prospects only to suffer a major elbow injury and have to restart his career again. He was very good at Class AAA Gwinnett, going 6-2 with a 2.29 ERA in 15 starts.
Enjoy the game and the conversation here as always, and check back for remote analysis…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Turner Field, Atlanta
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 179/869
Weather: Scattered storms, 78 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to CF
CF Denard Span
SS Danny Espinosa
3B Yunel Escobar
RF Bryce Harper
C Wilson Ramos
2B Dan Uggla
1B Tyler Moore
LF Michael Taylor
RHP Max Scherzer
2B Jace Peterson
CF Cameron Maybin
RF Nick Markakis
C A.J. Pierzynski
3B Juan Uribe
1B Kelly Johnson
SS Andrelton Simmons
LF Eury Perez
LHP Manny Banuelos
HP Dan Iassogna
1B Lance Barrett
2B Gabe Morales
3B C.B. Bucknor (cc)
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates
- 2018 MLB Power Rankings
- Nationals release 2018 Spring Training TV schedule
- Will Mike Rizzo continue to shape the Nationals? The Junkies believe he's too valuable to lose
- Nationals re-sign Howie Kendrick for two-years